Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Treaty of Vaals: Charging in 7 countries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
European EV owners from 7 countries (Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Portugal) can now charge in all those seven countries using the RFID card from their own country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need a special RFID card to fill-up your ICE vehicle? I think they should all just take a credit card.

I'm not so sure. My ChargePoint card is slightly faster and more convenient, and I'd worry that chargers in slightly more isolated locations (not obviously under constant surveillance) might be more subject to skimming setups. Especially here in the US where we're still using antiquated swipe-only cards.

My point is that there should at least be a pay on site option without having to join a bunch of subscription schemes. One benefit of using a credit card is that there is a layer of fraud protection (assuming you're with a good credit provider).

Credit cards are not as widely used in Europe as they are in the USA. We have bank card (debit card?), but those do not necessarily work all over Europe and usually have relative high transaction fees when used abroad.
The fact that you can use one card in 7 different European countries this early on is encouraging.

I read in an article from E-laad.nl that adding a pay on site option would add a cost of around Eur 1000,- to the charging unit.
Also the transaction costs would be 5-6 times higher, then post paid, every month.

I just received my RFID charge card from thenewmotion.nl, the card itself is free, no monthly costs, just Eur 1 per hour of charging, very reasonable.