Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volt false advertising?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a look:-

GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Concept Site » GM-Volt Bumper Sticker Contest

(Hey, looks like we have an auto-post comment facility over at the gm-volt site. Cute. Update - comment deleted)

Think the No Gas line is a tad misleading. How about 40 Miles Without Fuel?

Eh, it goes along with them insisting their car be called a REEV (Range extended electric vehicle) instead of a Series PHEV (Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle).
I don't think that the site is owned by GM so it doesn't really constitute as false advertising if you really look into it. They will need some sensationalism to capture people's interest anyways.

Tough crowd. First, the GM-volt.com site is run by a guy that is an entusiast for GM, just like dsacks is for this one. Second, the range extender is unique, which I give GM credit for. I think there is a lot of sincere interest out there for the product, if it happens. I'm excited about it.

Tough crowd. First, the GM-volt.com site is run by a guy that is an entusiast for GM, just like dsacks is for this one. Second, the range extender is unique, which I give GM credit for. I think there is a lot of sincere interest out there for the product, if it happens. I'm excited about it.

While I applaud GM's efforts, how is an ICE powered generator, ("range extender"), unique? You can call it a REEV but it is still a hybrid. People have put generators in their EV's before, or in trailers behind their EV's.

Last edited:
Second, the range extender is unique, which I give GM credit for.

I suppose I could give GM credit for developing a PHEV after many people asked them to (Richard Woolsey, Set America Free, CalCars, Plug-In America, Plug-in Partners). GM answered that call when Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, VW and other car makers did not. (Toyota actually announced they were going to make a PHEV before GM did, but they still seem half-hearted about it.)

But a bright new idea that nobody else had thought of? Not as such.

A viable, affordable, range extender that is practical. I still think it's unique and GM deserves a little credit. We're dealing with opinions at this point and I suppose we can go talk to the patent lawyers and get technical, but like I said, you can't buy one that is proposed by GM at the $30,000 price.