Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Efficiency Programs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
Large point-source emitters are low-hanging fruit politically because they're usually owned by companies with deep pockets - "just regulate them!" makes it all appear costless to society. That same money could have much more substantial effects in areas such as replacing old lighting, replacing old appliances, and retrofitting residential HVAC systems. According to the updated study by McKinsey on the cost of carbon abatement, there's a long list of negative-cost ways of reducing emissions that we aren't doing -- steps that actually save money but aren't getting done principally because of householders' budget constraints. Hybrid cars and PHEVs are two of these "cheaper than free" solutions, according to the study -- McKinsey apparently didn't think BEVs would get enough traction to warrant discussion.

Last edited:
there's a long list of negative-cost ways of reducing emissions that we aren't doing -- steps that actually save money but aren't getting done principally because of householders' budget constraints.

I know, it's enough to make you cry. Simple, profitable and effective alternatives are ignored while hopelessly expensive or difficult projects get most of the the attention.

That is excellent news and exactly the right approach, I think. Those £540m paid by energy companies on top of the low cost loans will in effect mean that all energy users will help pay for improvements for those that are worst off.

In Norway we have government subsidies for efficiency improvements for businesses, but nothing for home improvements except for very costly projects like biomass central heating. The City of Oslo subsidises heat pumps and clean-burning stoves by approximately 20% to improve air quality, but all in all it's very patchy. They should do more to encourage the most cost-effective and easily implemented improvements.

Insulation has ridiculously great payback. Super-insulation is even better.

My house isn't properly superinsulated because it doesn't have a proper vapor barrier all the way around, but I've got all the other aspects of superinsulation... and my heating bills are less than a third the bills of comparable houses in the neighborhood. Superinsulation apparently will generally cut your bills to 20% of baseline (cooling AND heating) and it costs in the tens of thousands at most -- it pays for itself quite quickly. Most houses around here are badly insulated. The waste is unbelievably huge.

I really need to increase my insulation, but heating with wood, and the warmer winters, especially this one, makes it less of a priority. Living in the woods reduces my cooling needs in the summer, I rarely need to run the A/C for more than an hour on the hottest days. When the leaves are off in the winter I get some pretty good solar heating too. Seems like such a waste when I see people clear cutting lots for new homes, removing shade and wind breaks. Does make PV more difficult of course, but I think with planning it could be worked around for a stand alone array.

I was able to receive rebates/tax credits from state, Feds, and utility companies for solar PV, hot water, and solar-assisted a/c for our home. Am currently upgrading energy utilization at our offices so the solar PV system will have excess capacity allowing building occupants to plug in EVs for free, especially mine! Since installing the photovoltaic panels several years ago, I've become the utility company for our tenants and it's another revenue stream. "Doing well by doing good."

I really need to increase my insulation, but heating with wood, and the warmer winters, especially this one, makes it less of a priority. Living in the woods reduces my cooling needs in the summer, I rarely need to run the A/C for more than an hour on the hottest days. When the leaves are off in the winter I get some pretty good solar heating too. Seems like such a waste when I see people clear cutting lots for new homes, removing shade and wind breaks. Does make PV more difficult of course, but I think with planning it could be worked around for a stand alone array.

If your lot faces on an east-west road to the south of the lot (highly specific conditions, I know), put the standalone array on the south side of the lot next to the road and take advantage of the trees which had to be cut to put the road in... I daresay a quarter of all lots are in this position.

That is my position but I the forest goes right up to the road so the solar array would be right at the roadside, actually on town property at that point and prone to being hit by snow plows and grass cutters, unless I cut down a bunch of trees, which I don't want to do at this point. Maybe in the future if a few trees in specific locations die or get blown down I might clear out a section.

Best Energy Conservation Sign!

energy savings.jpg