Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckessel

Jan 15, 2011
Saw my first Model S "in the wild" yesterday on my way home. It came out of a side street a mile from my home and turned right towards me. Kind of nice having a Roadster and Model S glide past each other.

Can't wait until my Roadster is sharing the garage with my wife's Model S. So long gas! See you later oil!!
Did you do the secret Tesla wave?

Do we have a secret Tesla wave?

Did you do the secret Tesla wave?

Do we have a secret Tesla wave?

If we get off oil we might live longer and prosper … so adopting a Vulcan hand wave would seem logical.

spock2.jpg

Nice touch adding the Tesla logo to his uniform!

:biggrin:

But .. there might be a flaw in this plan .. as I've just unearthed the pic below. Some say he acts like he might be from another planet, others say that his birth certificate is not pure. Being a Brit, I am unsure about these claims. But more to the point - did he have an assistant bend his fingers into place before saying cheese .. ?

uhura.jpg

So, I had a great Tesla day on Sunday. Drove up Skyline Blvd to La Honda Rd to PCH up to the Presidio. Had brunch at the Presidio Social Club, got some great views of the GG Bridge and the bay, even did a quick drop-in at the Disney Family Museum Bookstore. Watched the sun set over the Pacific on the way home. 170 miles of Tesla bliss.

So, why am I posting here, in this thread?

Well, I passed 3 Model S's heading in the opposite direction on PCH. Not one of them waved back. I guess we don't call it the Secret Tesla Wave for nothin', eh?

I've owned a few cars in my life where other owners ALWAYS wave: a VW Bug in college, a couple of Corvettes, Porsche 911 (only about 1/2 of 911 owners wave back) and a motorcycle. I know that Jeep Wrangler owners almost always wave, there's probably more examples out there. I've owned a Model S since July (P85D coming in a couple of weeks!), but I've been surprised that Tesla owners don't want to wave. I'm in South Florida, and see 1-2 Teslas every day, not a single wave ever. Why not us? We're sharing a much more unique experience....maybe we can convince everyone that it somehow extends your range :)

I've owned a few cars in my life where other owners ALWAYS wave: a VW Bug in college, a couple of Corvettes, Porsche 911 (only about 1/2 of 911 owners wave back) and a motorcycle. I know that Jeep Wrangler owners almost always wave, there's probably more examples out there. I've owned a Model S since July (P85D coming in a couple of weeks!), but I've been surprised that Tesla owners don't want to wave.

I've found it difficult to make eye contact with the other Tesla driver because the windows are fairly dark--and that probably goes double in Florida where most windows are tinted.

Living in this area we see so many other Tesla's that it is not surprising most of them are simply unaware of any 'special' connotations. Perhaps we need a secret sign on the car - so if you see it coming you know the driver is a part of the 'brother/sisterhood'

I was thinking of something like a yellow dot in the top corner of the windshield, or perhaps the TMC logo as a sticker on the inside of the glass. If you see the marker, you know to wave...