Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Wtb: Umc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice job and good deal there Chris and excellent eye pgwoosley!

I'm looking for the same as well, the 40 amp UMC (Universal Mobile Charger). I have my original MC240 dedicated for my home charger and would like to have one I keep in the car for road trips and emergencies.

Please feel free to PM me if you have one or see one posted on Ebay.

Thanks dsm363! I made an order last week with hcsharp for the J1772, its a beautiful, ideal and practical. I purchased the nema 14-50 to J1772 before I came across hcsharp's design. Didn't like the box idea since I had to leave the Tesla charger exposed to thieves and it added complexity and unnecessary length to the system. Patience will pay off for the charger, if I can find one at half the cost that would be great like the score above! Reassuring that they do show up... Curious why someone wouldn't throw it in when selling their Roadster unless the car was totaled.

I use the original 240/30 amp charger as my home dedicated charger. Hcsharp's J1772 converter stays in the car and allows me to charge off regular charging stations. I would like to keep a UMC, hence this ad, in the car so when I drive into unpopulated areas or when I go camping using the roadster I can still charge and get by. The NEMA 14-50 connection allows me to use the RV park charger when I need to or in case of emergency. I don't want to pull off my original charger since its fished through a hole in the front of my house. I removed the original 30amp dryer outlet and upgraded it to a 50AMP NEMA (all to code) before I took delivery of my roadster. I don't want to be pulling my dedicated home charger in and out every time I want to do a trip where I need an RV hookup. Nor do I want want a 70AMP dedicated charger at home. Have no need for those amps or speed. Make sense!?

Last edited:
... I purchased the nema 14-50 to J1772 before I came across hcsharp's design. Didn't like the box idea since I had to leave the Tesla charger exposed to thieves and it added complexity and unnecessary length to the system...

Is this what you were using before to plug your Tesla into J1772?:
J1772 adapter
By plugging the old Tesla 30A MC240 into that?

Did you even know about Tesla's "solution" before you found hpsharp's?:
J1772 Mobile Connector Tesla Motors

>Is this what you were using before to plug your Tesla into J1772?:
J1772 adapter

Yes. I still have it, will be putting it on ebay soon.

>Did you even know about Tesla's "solution" before you found hpsharp's?:
J1772 Mobile Connector Tesla Motors

Yes I did, but I thought Tesla's solution was overpriced and also didn't offer a lockable feature which I didn't want to come back finding my cable gone, my car unplugged, and worse no way of getting a charge back into the roadster.