Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Sound Reduction Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Stuart

Roadster#326, ModelS#1409
Supporting Member
May 23, 2009
San Jose, CA
My 2008 Tesla Roadster is in for its three-year service, and I have the option of adding the $3000 Sound Reduction Kit. I drive my Roadster almost exclusively with no top on — with either the hard- or soft-top on the headroom is insufficient for me to sit up straight. (So the soft-top generally lives in the trunk just in case I get caught unexpectedly in the rain — in which case I have to drive home with my head tilted sideways.) Since I drive it almost exclusively with no top on I'm guessing that the $3000 Sound Reduction Kit would make pretty much no difference at all. Does anyone here have any experience with whether the Sound Reduction Kit makes any noticeable difference with no top on?

I'd say that even with your much younger ears, if you're mostly driving with no top at all, the sound kit probably won't help much. I had the sound kit added to my 2.0 because I use the top often, mostly for shade here in Arizona. I do think it reduced noise, especially with the hard top, but don't remember it providing much difference with top off.

Does anyone here have any experience with whether the Sound Reduction Kit makes any noticeable difference with no top on?

Less than with the top on. Steve came by last summer when he was thinking about it, and we did back-to-back drives between his car and mine (which had had it done). Even with the tops on, the difference is pretty subtle - the sharp, higher frequency edges are taken off of the sound and shudder over nasty road warts, they become more thud than thwack. But it's not obvious. I think things are better than before, because the bumps on my commute that I'm really familiar with didn't seem so bad, but that could just be confirmation bias.

Let me get this straight...

Tesla has convinced people to spend three thousand dollars to ADD weight to a sports car, in order to make its already near silent operation even "more silent."

P.T. Barnum was right. I'm in the wrong business...

all kidding aside, do you drive a roadster? my biggest complaint about the roadster is the cabin noise levels are quite high (accompanied by all the rattles and squeaks you might expect from a british sports car.)

in addition to putting the tires in the lower pressure "comfort mode" setting, i opted for the sound reduction kit (helped a lot, especially on bumpy city roads with small rocks hitting the wheel wells, etc. my own experience was not as subtle as the above posters')

i am seriously considering adding more dynamat on my own to try and further civilize the ride.

Last edited:
No, I have never driven a Roadster, and I'm sure that there is a significant amount of road noise which intrudes on the quiet ride, just because there's nothing else to listen to.

But I sell the stuff for 7.19 a sheet. I'll gladly FLY to your house and put a hundred of them on your car for the princely sum of $3000. Maybe take a cable car ride while I'm in town, too.

Most kidding aside. :wink: