Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

TMS 85 owner :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    This requirement is nothing new
    I didn't mean new in that sense. The Schuko plug was standardized in the ninteen twenties I think.

and IMO the Type 2 connector is simply the best EV connector available. Think about this for a minute... 1 and 3 phase AC up to 43kW, and DC up to 70kW in one slimline connector... that's real genius!
    You're absolutely right. Thanks for herding me along the narrow path We don't want adapters, we want every charging station to work with every car.

While writing this, I discovered that even though I thought I knew that the Type 2 plug supports 70 kW DC, I can't find any references for it. What I can find is that it supports 70 A single phase and up to 500 V. 70 A DC @ 500 V is just 35 kW. Does it really support 70 kW DC?

The ideal solution would be to find a way to make the Type 2 plug safely carry 90 kW DC.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    According to Mennekes, the Type 2 connector supports it, but I don't know of any manufacturer that's actually using the "DC-Mid" mode. Tesla is currently doing the closest thing to that with the Model S connector they're using in the US. I've always thought Tesla should essentially use a beefed up version of the Type 2 connector that's physically compatible with the existing ones. As it is, to me the current Model S connector looks inspired by the Type 2 (Mennekes).

I guess we'll see what they do. Tesla is using these double walled connector pins that increases the contact area.

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    140A at the Model S battery voltage is only about 54kW max, a far cry from 90kW. The Tesla SuperCharger works at 225A, 60% more than Mennekes mid-level DC.

TMS 85 owner :)
    doug: Thanks, I remember that chart now. I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but almost started to think I was imagining things when I couldn't find it... OT, but I think it's strange that they're not using the DC-Mid config together with the DC-High config for 340A.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkebo View Post
    140A at the Model S battery voltage is only about 54kW max, a far cry from 90kW. The Tesla SuperCharger works at 225A, 60% more than Mennekes mid-level DC.
    Hmm. I2R losses would be 2.6 times higher. Doesn't sound promising, but might be possible by throwing enough money at it. Forced air cooling would probably do the trick, if it's possible to get the air into the connector. This would only be needed for a Tesla connected to a Tesla supercharger, so they might be able to do it.

One way to get more contact area would be to use longer pins than needed for Type 2. Type 2 would slide partway down the pins, the supercharger would insert all the way.
    Last edited by eledille; 2012-12-10 at 09:57 AM.

So were we not supposed to get offcial details by Christmas? There is 1 day left...

Quote Originally Posted by dpeilow View Post
    So were we not supposed to get offcial details by Christmas? There is 1 day left...
    Doesn't seem like it

The test drives in NL/BE should start in the new year, those cars would have 3-phase charging from what I've heard, so maybe we have to wait for then? I just want to know what connector goes on!
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

¿Any news about the three-phase european-spec Tesla plug?

Quote Originally Posted by Bipo View Post
    ¿Any news about the three-phase european-spec Tesla plug?
    No, nothing new. I'm waiting for the invitation to the test drives. The test drive cars should have 3-phase charging and show us everything. (From what I've heard)
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

Heard today its about 2 weeks until we get the info
    Model S, EU P#2241 delivered 11/8/13 - Norway

Quote Originally Posted by ebbrey View Post
    Heard today its about 2 weeks until we get the info
    That's about when I expect that we'll get test drives.

Did you have a good source?

Thread Information