Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... And now I'm back. IMPRESSED with the Model S! That's all I can say after seeing it live, touching it, feeling it, sitting in it :)

One piece of info that was a big surprise to me: At the showing, one of the reps seemed really knowledgable, and he was asked by another customer wheter the car will support Chademo charging. He replied yes. So I had to ask him specifically about this in depth and he held to his claim that he knew that the European version of Model S will support Chademo. He thought that this would be via an adapter/cable, but he would also not rule out this possibility of a second charge port (seems extremely unlikely to me).

Was there today. The Model S looked really good and felt nice, everyone with me was impressed, also we all got rides in a very orange roadster sport... that was awesome!
Want to thank everyone at Tesla in Oslo for taking such good care of us!

... And now I'm back. IMPRESSED with the Model S! That's all I can say after seeing it live, touching it, feeling it, sitting in it :)

One piece of info that was a big surprise to me: At the showing, one of the reps seemed really knowledgable, and he was asked by another customer wheter the car will support Chademo charging. He replied yes. So I had to ask him specifically about this in depth and he held to his claim that he knew that the European version of Model S will support Chademo. He thought that this would be via an adapter/cable, but he would also not rule out this possibility of a second charge port (seems extremely unlikely to me).

I might be the one who got the answer you overheard. I was not too convinced. The guy (an English salesman type) did not seem to be technically competent - more a salesman kind of guy who would tell you anything to keep you smiling.

I think second charge port will not happen. It will have to be about delivering power through the one charge port. I understand that it will accept anything from 100 to 400 volts and that it has some form of advanced circuits that will analyze the incoming current to deduct how many Amperes the car can allow itself to draw. This was also of the salesmans information - when I confronted electro engineers with this they shook their heads and said that this seems like bullshit - that there is no way to know how many amps you can draw without actually checking the fuse and then entering that value in the car - or by using some kind of plug that would use some extra pins to communicate fact about the power source.

A ChaDeMo charger has "communication pins" - using an adapter of some sort would also mean that you would have to send the right signals back to the ChaDeMo charger to make it give you the power.

If anyone has more facts - please correct me.

I might be the one who got the answer you overheard. I was not too convinced. The guy (an English salesman type) did not seem to be technically competent - more a salesman kind of guy who would tell you anything to keep you smiling.

I think second charge port will not happen. It will have to be about delivering power through the one charge port. I understand that it will accept anything from 100 to 400 volts and that it has some form of advanced circuits that will analyze the incoming current to deduct how many Amperes the car can allow itself to draw. This was also of the salesmans information - when I confronted electro engineers with this they shook their heads and said that this seems like bullshit - that there is no way to know how many amps you can draw without actually checking the fuse and then entering that value in the car - or by using some kind of plug that would use some extra pins to communicate fact about the power source.
It is possible to deduct how many amps you can draw, but it isn't perfect.

Basically, you try to draw maybe 100 W, and monitor the voltage. As you draw 100 W, the input voltage will drop by some amount, as the internal resistance of the source will lead to transmission losses. (The wiring and connections will heat up.) If the power source is specced to supply a high current, the voltage drop will be less than if it is specced to supply a low current. Knowing this, if the voltage drop is insignificant, you can draw more current. And as you monitor the voltage, you can step up the power until the voltage drop is in line with what is expected (minus safety margin), and you end up drawing close to the maximum of what the circuit is specced for.

Of course, this approach isn't perfect. If for instance all the cabling is according to what you would have on a 16A line, yet the fuse is only 10 A, the power management system would falsely assume the fuse is 16A and trip it. Of course, the only needed improvement in this situation would be to replace the fuse with a 16 A fuse, and the power management system would work. (Or you could use an extention cable to derate the circuit...)

(I have a bachelor's degree in space technology.)

With regards to Chademo adapter I think this must be a possibility since quick charging is DC and the charger is not in, but outside, of the car and DC current flows directly thorugh the wire - chargeport and to the battery, that kind of charing is in a way much simpler. And the car has Tesla's own DC charging solution (90 kW). Now Chademo is something like 43kW so it would take more time but still quick. The only thing is the adapter must be able to communicate with the Chademo charger and basically tell it "send DC current" and when the battery is full "stop sending DC current". Can't imagine that would be so hard? Must be the same way Tesla's own quick charger works, only different communication protocol and wiring.

And it wasn't the englishman, but the norwegian guy who said it.

With regards to Chademo adapter I think this must be a possibility

Yes, it is. Tesla has been very clear that they can build one (even though it's not simple; it does need electronics to fool both sides). They just haven't said if/when they will build one.

My guess is that this is going to be like the early days of the Roadster. Tesla wanted to focus and not build things they didn't "have" to. But customers wanted more charging flexibility, so the third-party RFMC was born. Eventually Tesla came out with the UMC, and it was better. (Well, generally. The one I got didn't work, and left me in a tough spot in the middle of nowhere--Shingletown, CA. To be fair, I only bought it because my RFMC had failed too. There is nothing like having two charging solutions that don't work!).

I have heard of at least one independent company looking at building a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S...not that I'm sure that can be done without Tesla's cooperation.

Tesla is most likely using J1772 for their SuperCharging protocol. The CHAdeMO and J1772-DC protocols are both available to third parties, so they should be able to build adapters. Maybe someone will do a homebuilt one, but it will be more difficult and expensive to do than the RFMC was.

GSP

Does anyone know the plan for distribution of the Tesla S? I mean: When will my car arrive? Considering the Model S reservation tally there are 13680 or 12087 reservations made for the car, the largest numbers from North America. I guess the first models are shipped to the domestic market. The plan of production states that 5000 cars will be delivered by the end of the year, then 20.000 the following year, or is this the optimistic view?

If the numbers are correct, my Tesla performance will arrive my garage sometime in the fall of 2013?

Or?

Production ramp up is just about to start. In June they did 1 car per day, so this is the smallest production rate I can imagine and ramp up hasn't even begun. If they are able to produce 5,000 cars in 2012 is way too early to tell, lest alone deliver.
In addition to that, there are zero emission vehicle credits to reap when selling in California or one of the U.S. federal states that have adopted Californian clean air legislation. The earnings from that are kept secret, but it makes selling Model S in other markets not very tempting. Check here: Tesla Sells $13.8M in ZEV Credits to Honda: #evworld .

Tesla showcases Model S at Oslo Showroom Nov. 19th - Nov. 24th. (It's a showroom and dealership. As crazy as it might sound Tesla are allowed to sell their cars in physical stores/dealerships here in Europe. I know, it's pretty crazy but hey, Europeans have always been a bit more liberal right?)

The car that will be shown is a black with tan interior. Positively no testdrives as of yet. EU pricing is still not out.

dump.PNG

Last edited:
For international members this might be of interest to know:

Tesla has just now announced test drives for reservation holders in Norway! Starting next week, Monday 26th Novemeber. "Get Amped style" - i.e. 10 minutes along a predefined course, you can bring passengers but they sit in the back. Looking forward to next week! :) :) :)