Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much does Performance mode affect battery life/range?

Blog Entries

How much does Performance mode affect battery life/range?

The owner's manual says that using Performance mode (as well as Range mode) will reduce battery life. Or to put it another way, that range will decline faster if these modes are used regularly.

I'd be interested in some quantitative numbers. I've never charged or driven in Performance mode. I've only ever used Standard mode, and Storage mode. (The latter when I'm away from home for an extended time.)

I also know that the best performance is right after charging in Performance mode, and while the battery pack remains at or near full.

But I'd be interested to know how far I can drive after charging in Performance mode before the performance drops to what I get in Standard mode, and how much faster I'll lose battery capacity if I use Performance mode, say, once a month, or once a week. I don't really ever need​ to use Performance mode. I'm just curious, and wondering if the occasional passenger would even notice the difference, and whether it's worth the accelerated battery degradation.

Items for Sale
    Understand that Tesla has not released that the different charge and driving modes will be available on the model S.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

My Roadster is close to 3 years old, with 21000 miles. It is still within 1 or 2% of its original range.
    I've taken the car to the raceteack over a dozen times, driving it in performance mode for hours. I frequently put it in performance mode when commuting if I get a chance to hit a clear onramp.

The only thing charging in performance mode does is let the battery get warmer than the other modes. The battery is happier delivering large amounts of power when it is warm. The flip side of this is that high temperatures degrade the battery and you want to minimize the time spent hot.

We tried to measure the performance difference between a warm battery and a very warm battery a while ago and it was hard to measure a difference.
    It is not at all necessary to charge in performance mode to enjoy it, normal driving will warm the battery up. When driving in performance mode, the battery is allowed to deliver more power.
    I always charge in a non-performance mode when I am done driving - to cool the battery back down.

Rich pretty much covered it. Charging in range or performance mode once a month will probably not result in any measurable difference in battery life and might even help it because it will do a better job of keeping it balanced, which contributes to longer life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Understand that Tesla has not released that the different charge and driving modes will be available on the model S.
    I was asking specifically in regards to my Roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    My Roadster is close to 3 years old, with 21000 miles. It is still within 1 or 2% of its original range.
    I've taken the car to the raceteack over a dozen times, driving it in performance mode for hours. I frequently put it in performance mode when commuting if I get a chance to hit a clear onramp. [... snip...]
    Quote Originally Posted by hcsharp View Post
    Rich pretty much covered it. [...]
    Thanks, all!

I believe you can engage the Performance mode by turning the key fully forward while driving, and cancel it the same way? Is this correct? Or should the car be at a stop?

4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    I believe you can engage the Performance mode by turning the key fully forward while driving, and cancel it the same way? Is this correct? Or should the car be at a stop?
    I just touch the battery icon on the center console to change modes. (Twice from standard gets to performance. Once again back to standard.) Works fine while in motion. Didn't know about the key thing--will have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by dadaleus View Post
    I just touch the battery icon on the center console to change modes. (Twice from standard gets to performance. Once again back to standard.) Works fine while in motion. Didn't know about the key thing--will have to try that.
    I knew about the key thing but didn't know/remember the center console method. Also didn't know/remember how to get out of performance mode

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post
    You are correct; this was shown to me specifically by Tesla as part of the run-through when my Roadster was delivered. The car does not need to be stopped.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Today I put it in Performance mode briefly (having charged in Standard.) I'm not sure I could tell the difference. I mean, the thing is just plain FAST! I don't know if Performance Mode would even be a difference I could detect. Maybe if I gave it that extra boost of charging in Performance, since I understand the battery pack can deliver a bit more current & power if it's nearer full, and warmer, which a P mode charge does.

Thread Information