Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotels possibly installing Tesla HPC 2s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Texas hotels considering installing Tesla HPC 2.0s

I'm going to be staying in a Dallas hotel soon and I brought up possibly of installing a new HPC there for guests. The sales manager there wanted to know how he could advertise this (if they do it) to people in Houston, Austin and elsewhere in Texas. How should I direct him to do this on TMC. Are people allowed to post in the community threads about things like this? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm going to be staying in a Dallas hotel soon and I brought up possibly of installing a new HPC there for guests. The sales manager there wanted to know how he could advertise this (if they do it) to people in Houston, Austin and elsewhere in Texas. How should I direct him to do this on TMC. Are people allowed to post in the community threads about things like this? Thanks.

Once it is noted on any of the plug in sharing websites/apps people will automatically go there.

Just did my first mini-roadtrip. The drive from Austin to Dallas was a tight one. Had to drive 57-60 mph with the AC off (windows up and a hard-top) and made it with under 30 miles after a range charge. Stayed at the Hotel Palomar in Dallas since they had 2 Blink stations installed (J1772 30A) which were installed a few months ago. They had an EV promotion for a few months but no one took advantage of it. I contacted them after it was up and they extended the offer to me. The I35 RV park has 50A outlets which made the trip back much easier. They didn't really know what to charge and asked for $7 even though I told them I would only be there for an hour. I ended up paying $5 but think setting up something before you get there might be the way to go.

I arrived late at night on electric 'fumes' so to speak. When I got there, they initially couldn't find the Blink card then it didn't work. Turns out no one had ever used it as I said and the card wasn't activated. I was able to charge overnight on a 110V outlet they had. The next morning they had it all figured out and it was working. The sales manager there was very nice and sent an e-mail apologizing for the trouble and greatly reduced my rate which was a nice touch. He said they want to be the premiere EV hotel in Dallas but obviously this was new to them and there are growing pains when I totally understand. I wanted to pass along how good of a job they did and the valets especially. The night valet was great and took extra care of the car.

I suggested to them that a Tesla HPC 2.0 at 80A would be a great thing to have for advertising and for attracting Tesla customers from Houston and other places in Texas. He thought that was a great idea and is going to contact the Tesla customer rep I gave him to figure out how to do this. I think it's important to reward businesses like this who are forward thinking enough to install EV chargers and make every effort to fix things when problems creep up. If you head towards Dallas, consider staying there, especially if they install a Tesla HPC.

While very cool for Tesla owners/drivers, seems the owner would get a lot more mileage (pun intended) out of a more generic charger since non-Tesla owners won't be able to use the HPC.

They have 2 Blink J1772 30A stations so that's a start. I mentioned to him that the Tesla HPC would only work with Tesla but that it would be a good advertising move to try and attract the new Model S customers from Houston, Austin and other places. I agree though, having more than one Tesla HPC wouldn't be needed. Any other chargers should be J1772 but hopefully faster than 30A.

While that's true, how many tourists that don't have a Tesla will vacation in their electric car? I'd suspect that that touring EV population is predominantly Tesla.

Are you assuming that the Tesla HPC2.0 will work with a Roadster?
Has Tesla given any indication that they will provide adapters between HPC2.0 and the old style Roadster charging connector?

Are you assuming that the Tesla HPC2.0 will work with a Roadster?
Has Tesla given any indication that they will provide adapters between HPC2.0 and the old style Roadster charging connector?

I'm not assuming that but that would be nice. Just trying to pick something for a bigger market with the Model S. I realize a J1772 80A charger would include more cars but even then, only Tesla could really utilize that much power at this point. That would also leave the 80A J1772 charger for being tied up with a Leaf or Volt by the valets when the Blink stations would work just as well. It's really for them to advertise Tesla Model S and X ready or something similar. The Roadster can still use the Blink station of course if Tesla doesn't come out with an adapter or convert old Roadsters to the new connection.

I have Troy on camera saying that they want to do something, and that they'd like to figure out how to retrofit Roadsters with the Model S connector - but there is a problem with the locking aspect of the new connector:

[video=vimeo;36221090]http://vimeo.com/36221090[/video]