Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Cold weather testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not? They could be testing the version for Asia/UK couldn't they?

Seems to me a little early to start mucking around with right-hand drive. And also this post from GeorgeB:

Hi everyone...
The Silver one is coming back from some winter video driving in Minneapolis.

If it's the same car as in Santana Row, then it was left-hand drive. (I'm recuperating from a bug here... I should have had all this figured out at time of the first post.) I guess the editor just thought it would look better to have the car exit left... Anyway, moving on...

Well, that was...kind of dull. I wish it'd given some details about the results of the test. Just watching a car drive around in snow wasn't terribly insightful.

Absolutely... That looked like my winter commute, with less traffic and less snow !

I would have liked to see what happened when the car lost traction and seemed to start a spin (into a camera cut!), and how it did with starting (especially stopping) in these snow & ice conditions.

Basic stuff, this was fluff (sorry, read Dr. Seuss to my kids earlier :tongue:)

Great video but it raise mores questions about the "S" and its experiences during this cold weather test:

* What was the coldest temp recorded during the testing?
* How long did the "S" take to warm the interior?
* What were the battery readings during the testing?
* What was the power loss due to the cold temp?
* What was the power loss due to interior warming?
* How long was that "S" exposed to those temps?
* What type of tires were on the "S" at the time of filming?

TM thanks for sharing the video and now we know the "S" likes cold weather.

Give the guys at Tesla some time to look at the numbers first. A video is easy to make, I'm sure the results will follow...

Oh of course Zorba results will follow but how difficult is it to provide information similar to this... (The Model S with the 21" inch wheels spent three days in the conditions at temperatures ranging from -1 to 8 degrees F. On one observation, the interior took three minutes to go from ambient to a toasty 68 degrees...) And that's all I'm looking for. Ultimately, I want to see that the "S" is capable of surviving in any climate, any altitude, or any reasonable condition the my current vehicle faces and perform up to par.

Oh of course Zorba results will follow but how difficult is it to provide information similar to this... (The Model S with the 21" inch wheels spent three days in the conditions at temperatures ranging from -1 to 8 degrees F. On one observation, the interior took three minutes to go from ambient to a toasty 68 degrees...) And that's all I'm looking for. Ultimately, I want to see that the "S" is capable of surviving in any climate, any altitude, or any reasonable condition the my current vehicle faces and perform up to par.

Look carefully at the beginning of the video, it says : temp ranging from -10F to 15F.
Doesn't answer all your questions though, at least that's one you can tick off ;-)

Due to untimely cuts in the video right in the middle of a turn (or lateral transition), one can only assume that the car spun out right after those cuts... otherwise the full turns would have been shown.