Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching, does anyone know if Tesla will offer Homelink without the tech package?

No, but if you or any other reservation holders want it, ask your Customer Advocate, several of these types of questions are answered within a day or two of asking and are an easy avenue to plead for future options.

No, but if you or any other reservation holders want it, ask your Customer Advocate, several of these types of questions are answered within a day or two of asking and are an easy avenue to plead for future options.

A Homelink mirror is easy to add because it doesn't really interface with the rest of the car. I'm not real pleased with the one in the Prius. It seldom dims enough to avoid glare (even with the tricks) and it's always active--even when the power is off.

A Homelink mirror is easy to add because it doesn't really interface with the rest of the car. I'm not real pleased with the one in the Prius. It seldom dims enough to avoid glare (even with the tricks) and it's always active--even when the power is off.

Homelink and auto dimming are two separate features though. They're often used together on rear view mirrors, but there are some homelink setups that are on the visor, and there are auto dimming side mirrors.

That said, I also gather that to get it, you have to order the tech package. You can likely install an aftermarket visor or mirror with it though.

What is Homelink? I thought it was the ability to open your garage door from the car directly instead of a dedicated remote just for that? It's that what Homelink is? Confused so I'm asking.

Precisely sir. As mentioned, some integrate it differently, but overall it's the same. Usually 3 buttons in the car somewhere to control 3 different garage doors.

Precisely sir. As mentioned, some integrate it differently, but overall it's the same. Usually 3 buttons in the car somewhere to control 3 different garage doors.

Ahem... Homelink can do a little more than open garage doors:

HomeLink

HomeLink® is the world’s most widely trusted and used wireless control system. It conveniently and safely enables you to open and close your garage door and front gate, and to turn your home’s security system, outdoor lighting, interior appliances and electronics on and off. All from three buttons, smartly integrated into your automobile’s interior.

I bet the Homelink is standard on all Model S'...Probably will be accessed via the 17inch touch screen...On the Roadster homelink is integrated into the touchscreen

I'll take that bet (can you please put one of your roadsters on the table?) :)

Homelink is clearly listed only as part of the Tech Package option in the "Options & Pricing" page and is not listed in the set of standard specs over on the "Specs" page.

Having gone over all that and my past experience with 3 cars equipped with homelink, I've only ever bothered to program the homelink transmitter in one of those 3 cars and that too, to open just the garage door; even that bit of effort went to waste shortly after when my garage door opener assembly itself had to be replaced (its plastic cogwheel had ground down to nubbins) - I've since simply opted to use the much more compact/sleek-looking garage openers themselves on the visor.

I'll take that bet (can you please put one of your roadsters on the table?) :)

Homelink is clearly listed only as part of the Tech Package option in the "Options & Pricing" page and is not listed in the set of standard specs over on the "Specs" page.

Having gone over all that and my past experience with 3 cars equipped with homelink, I've only ever bothered to program the homelink transmitter in one of those 3 cars and that too, to open just the garage door; even that bit of effort went to waste shortly after when my garage door opener assembly itself had to be replaced (its plastic cogwheel had ground down to nubbins) - I've since simply opted to use the much more compact/sleek-looking garage openers themselves on the visor.

It is kind of a PITA to program homelink, You need one person on a ladder manipulating the garage receiver etc, but it is well worth it after it has been programmed. Problem with hanging the garage door opener on the visor is I have had problems with the opener falling when flipping down the visor.

I think Tesla should include more than 3 soft buttons with homelink. If someone has a gate + two garage doors and would like to control landscape lighting etc, you cannot do it with just three buttons.

Shouldn't you be off coding something? :wink:

I think Tesla should include more than 3 soft buttons with homelink. If someone has a gate + two garage doors and would like to control landscape lighting etc, you cannot do it with just three buttons.

If its on the touch screen they can. I'd be happy with some physical and digital buttons. Common things on the physical and other less-commonly used things on the screen.

If its on the touch screen they can. I'd be happy with some physical and digital buttons. Common things on the physical and other less-commonly used things on the screen.

It may be a license issue I have never seen a homelink transmitter with more than three buttons...have you ?

It is kind of a PITA to program homelink, You need one person on a ladder manipulating the garage receiver etc, but it is well worth it after it has been programmed. Problem with hanging the garage door opener on the visor is I have had problems with the opener falling when flipping down the visor.
I've never had trouble. Step ladder under the opener - push the learn button, you have like 30 seconds to hop down and push the button in your car, voila. I also don't like the button on the visor if you park outside as it's easy for someone to smack the window and open the garage door.

HomeLink® is the world’s most widely trusted and used wireless control system. It conveniently and safely enables you to open and close your garage door and front gate, and to turn your home’s security system, outdoor lighting, interior appliances and electronics on and off. All from three buttons, smartly integrated into your automobile’s interior.

And if the car is parked outside, anyone can break the window, press the Homelink button, and open your garage too because Homelink is always powered up--at least that's how the car manufacturers implement it in at least some cars. So you either park far enough away so that the transmitter won't reach or you never leave the Homelink activated car parked at home if you're not.

Most home link buttons are actually deactivated when the car is off for that reason. All of my vehicles have home link, and none are activated when the vehicle is off. It can actually be an annoyance, for instance, when you pull into your garage at night, shut down your car, then reach to close the garage door with the home link...Yikes...gotta turn the accessories back on to get the button to work...

My big hope is that the home link has enough strength to activate at a reasonable distance. My wife's car has to be right up on the garage door to get it to open.