Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first around the world EV race starts May 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
maybe you can use this Coast to Coast EV record

Here is a breakdown of a hypothetical Roadster trip:
  • Using available charging sites (usually camp grounds at 240V/50Amps: I figured 9.8kW charge rate) (searched in Google maps "50 Amp RV" or "50 Amp Campground")
  • This is traveling near speed limit for safety reasons (not ideal).
  • taking 20 minutes time to reserve camp site and hookup
  • No time for getting food/breaks/sleeping along the way other then when charging.

• ~6 days (141 hours)
  • Average total speed including charging = 20.2mph
  • 26+ stops, *850kWh needed. * *(92 hours charging)
  • 49.7 hours driving (Google calculation of time which averages in stopping time for fueling - so real time would be slightly less)
With charging at ideal locations and slow speeds (unsafe *on some of these roads), it would take 120.5 hours at 55mph with, 20 stops, charging for 62 hours.

Here are links -
1st half: (Google maps seem to have problems with lots of data points)
Brooklyn Battery Tunnel/Interstate 478 N to E Main St - Google Maps

2nd half:
E Main St to I-210 W - Google Maps

I have not verified any of the following locations to see if they are available other then looking on google maps. Use at your own risk.
LegLocation Starting Pointmin. Travel Time (h)kWh neededmin. Charge Time (h)Distance milesSpeed Max mphCharge StationComments
1NY City3.353.819265Full charge - Range mode - NYC driving
2Carlisle, PA2.531.33.512560westernvillagervpark.com‎
3Somerset, PA2.838.54.315460hickoryhollowcampground.com‎extra charging needed
4Cambridge, OH1.523.82.88565http://www.campspringvalley.com
5Columbus, OH1.7530.23.410865University of Ohioneed to find charger by University
6Richmond, IN229.03.311660grandpasfarmcamp.com
7Cloverdale, IN231.53.510470 cloverdalervpark.com
8Effingham, IL2.532.83.713160camplakewoodcampground.comSt.Louis driving
9St. Louis, MO2.134.53.911470St Louis West/Route 66 Koa Campgroundnot seen on map
10Dixon, Missouri231.23.510370dixoncamping.comnot seen on map
11Springfield, MO231.53.510470route66koa.com
12Copeland, OK2.433.33.713360bearsdenresort.com‎Back roads + Tulsa, OK *75 on Open Interstate
13Stroud, OK2.132.33.612960Curious GiftsDon't see RV site on map lot of other potential places in town, Oklahoma City driving *75mph on Open Interstate
14Weatherford, OK1.7533.83.810175no camp grounds listed in area - lots of small townsfind connection - Airport/HS/Space museum - can stretch 40 miles to KOA near Elk City
15Shamrock, TX1.7532.23.69675i40camp.com‎
16Amarillo, TX1.733.83.810175fortrvparks.com
17Tucumcari, NM120.42.46175koa.com‎ Tucumcari, NMTop off - short run
18Santa Rosa, NM1.532.83.79875 santarosacampground.com
19Tijeras, NM 1.2523.82.87175hvrvresort.com‎Shorter charge - city speeds in Albuquerque
20Casa Blanca, NM1.630.53.49175Dancing Eagle RV Park
21Gallup, NM1.734.23.810275usarvpark.com‎
22Joseph City, AZ1.534.23.811370Normas RV ParkHills by Flagstaff
23Williams, AZ1.532.53.69775thetrain.com‎
24Kingman, AZ1.2527.13.18175blakeranchrv.com‎
25Needles, CA2.542.4714070desertviewrv.com‎Full range charge may be needed - this would be worst leg!
26Barstow, CA1.7535.23.910575barstowcalicokoa.com‎
27Pasadena, CATop off somewhere in LA area or go to final destination

[/td]

Good luck to you Rafael. I think there should be no problem catching up to them, as they took over a month to cross the US. Gives new meaning to the phrase "stop and smell the roses". From the pics on their site it seems like they had to charge on 110v a lot. If you bring a tent and sleeping bag you can sleep at campgrounds and charge on 14-50 outlets at least. With a few 70A HPCs along the way you might be able to do 400+ miles some days.

In my limited experience, I found that many, many campgrounds that might have 14-50 outlets WILL NOT let you charge at their business. They have read about fires, EVs, blown circuit breakers, burned wiring, and they somehow think that the cost of a charge is similar to a tank of gas ($50) and they refuse. You'd better call before you start your trip and get RV parks that are owned by people who are able to use the internet more than watch Faux TV. I had one owner tell me that they had paid a lot of money to upgrade their pedestals to EATON and did not want them ruined, while on the EATON web site they specifically said that their 14-50s were capable of charging anything at 40 amps continuous, but that did not persuade the owner.

In my limited experience, I found that many, many campgrounds that might have 14-50 outlets WILL NOT let you charge at their business. They have read about fires, EVs, blown circuit breakers, burned wiring, and they somehow think that the cost of a charge is similar to a tank of gas ($50) and they refuse. You'd better call before you start your trip and get RV parks that are owned by people who are able to use the internet more than watch Faux TV. I had one owner tell me that they had paid a lot of money to upgrade their pedestals to EATON and did not want them ruined, while on the EATON web site they specifically said that their 14-50s were capable of charging anything at 40 amps continuous, but that did not persuade the owner.

Hi rolab, thanks for this important information.
Is there a dictionary of phone numbers which I can filter for Interstate 80 campgrounds to call them in advance?

Good luck to you Rafael. I think there should be no problem catching up to them, as they took over a month to cross the US. Gives new meaning to the phrase "stop and smell the roses". From the pics on their site it seems like they had to charge on 110v a lot. If you bring a tent and sleeping bag you can sleep at campgrounds and charge on 14-50 outlets at least. With a few 70A HPCs along the way you might be able to do 400+ miles some days.
cool tip with the tent, I will buy a little one to be save against mosquito bites :D

Rafael is in final preparations now. He joins the race and leaves Barcelona tomorrow.

I've got to say, this is an incredible undertaking, and congratulations to Rafael for even trying. It will be amazing if he makes it around the world in 80 days in his Tesla Roadster, given the challenges of charging in places like China, Russia and Kazakstan.

Good luck, Rafael, and safe journeys.

Progress seems good. Rafael is now in Lyon, France, charging overnight 13A @211V.

His rough proposed route is up at:
80edays - Google Maps

I'm sure he'd appreciate suggestions, help, and meet ups with any Roadster (or other EV) drivers along his route.

I guess the 'rules' should be to stay as horizontal as possible and drive as much as possible. The French are taking a much more southerly route, then up through Thailand. But, Rafael is still going north in Europe, so I guess its swings-and-roundabouts and it'll be interesting to see the final mileages. Rafael did try to take a more southerly route through Hong Kong, but couldn't get drive through permission, so had to go direct to China. The French have a 2 months and almost 1/3rd of the way round the world head start. But, they don't treat this as a race, so good luck to both teams.

The routes through Europe and USA are impressive, but I think China/Russia is going to be the most 'interesting' for charging infrastructure and language barriers.

Hi Mark, yes there will be videos, but driving this fast I do I don't find the time to upload them. First priority is to find an insurance company, which gives me a coverage for US ...

Last time I took out insurance for the US they only wanted to know my personal net worth! ;) Weird country.

If we could organise a phone call or skype video call with the TV guys here that might be a good start. When will you be online and reachable?

@Rafael : That is some nasty news, but would not stop a real Phileas Fogg.

Daimler took the B -Class F-Cell around the world in 72 days, excl. flights & shipping (total 125 days incl. drive through Australia and Japan) => 80 days can be done.

Maybe some UK special insurance company that insures stuff like foreign racecars or so is willing to help you out. I know such ones exist. Or maybe import & export
your Tesla in US ( tax costs....) ?

Good luck and we ll follow you !

Peter Paul K-P ( Bertha Benz Challenge)

BTW : Great vid from BBC 2011 !