Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Collectibles Revealed: 2009 - 2012 Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Modern Collectibles Revealed: 2009 - 2012 Tesla Roadster

Chances are that you know many details about the Tesla Roadster or at least know what it is. It is simply the first mass produced car that showed the world that electric motoring and fun are not mutually exclusive. Electrically powered cars are not a new concept, but Tesla Motors showed the public that such a car can be an exhilarating sport roadster. This car has thus reserved its place in the automotive hall of fame and it will hold a significant status in the collector car world.

• Love
Reactions: AtAge19
Every high-end sports car that represented a major technological change from the previous generation has become a collector's item worth much more than it sold for new. There are no exceptions to this rule that I'm aware of. There aren't very many - less than 10 examples that fit this bill. The Roadster is the most recent one.

• Love
Every high-end sports car that represented a major technological change from the previous generation has become a collector's item worth much more than it sold for new. There are no exceptions to this rule that I'm aware of. There aren't very many - less than 10 examples that fit this bill. The Roadster is the most recent one.

Seems likely that they took some time to be appreciated.
How long did it take on average?

Seems likely that they took some time to be appreciated.
How long did it take on average?

Not sure but there's a well documented phenomenon that has been observed. Those who can afford the car will buy it right away and get the desire to own it out of their system. The younger generation who most adores the car when it is first released often cannot afford it at the time. Later in their lives they are often more successful and then start lusting again for the same car they dreamed of when they were younger. That's usually when the collector's market takes off. Unfortunately it's usually kind of slow.

• Funny
I would say a minimum of 25-30 years pass before the cars really appreciate in value. It takes less time for very limited production cars, but they are usually very expensive to start with. A good example of that former are most pre 1972 muscle cars, and the latter scenario makes me think of the 65-66 AC Cobras.

From the article:
...today's suitcase sized half-ton battery will be replaced by something the size and weight of today's AA?

This guy must have some impressively large luggage.

And his future AA sized/weighted battery will make this question more reasonable:

The wildest question I've gotten came from a guy who had first asked me a few reasonable questions then he asked:

"Does it have a permanent battery or do you have to charge it?"

That would be a battery pack with some serious energy density!