Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stations allow electric cars to go distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Victoria promises 570 new stations on province's highways

Charging stations allow electric cars to go distance

Road-tripping across B.C. in an electric car could happen as early as next year.

On Tuesday, the B.C. government announced $2.74 million for 570 car-charging stations across the province, which would make it easier to drive all the way from Vancouver to cities like Kamloops and Prince George - or even south to the United States, Environment Minister Terry Lake said.

I wonder if they'll be all over, or just on the Trans-Canada, and whether there'll be some RV-style plugs for the Roadster, or just J-1772 and/or Chademo. With stations in Nelson, Cranbrook, Revelstoke, and Golden I could make my Canada trips on Electric. Revelstoke and Golden are on the 1, so I'm sure they'll be included. So all they'd have to do is include Nelson and Cranbrook. Of course, it would have to be a charger type I can use, and there'd have to be some way of knowing ABSOLUTELY FOR CERTAIN that it would be functioning and available. So there would have to be redundancy and enough of them for the demand.

I might be willing to schedule an extra day for the trip, to allow for charging, but I will not risk being stranded. Best solution would be overnight charging at hotels, where I could reserve the charger.

I wonder if they'll be all over, or just on the Trans-Canada, and whether there'll be some RV-style plugs for the Roadster, or just J-1772 and/or Chademo. With stations in Nelson, Cranbrook, Revelstoke, and Golden I could make my Canada trips on Electric. Revelstoke and Golden are on the 1, so I'm sure they'll be included. So all they'd have to do is include Nelson and Cranbrook. Of course, it would have to be a charger type I can use, and there'd have to be some way of knowing ABSOLUTELY FOR CERTAIN that it would be functioning and available. So there would have to be redundancy and enough of them for the demand.

I might be willing to schedule an extra day for the trip, to allow for charging, but I will not risk being stranded. Best solution would be overnight charging at hotels, where I could reserve the charger.

In due course they'll be "all over". The plan is to electrify transport across Canada, not just along select routes. This includes routes to the USA.

The stations are all Clipper Creek J1772 units, which are the most reliable in the industry. (The Tesla Roadster's HPC is a Clipper Creek.)

Redundancy will come in time as the stations are built out. Also in the works is an ability for users to query station status, etc.