Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Sales Figures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven a Leaf. It was pretty much what I expected (except the mess under the hood). It drove a bit smoother than I thought. And in retrospect it was amazingly silent. I think I need to drive a Volt. Sadly my daily driving of ~60+ miles makes the Leaf a real stretch if I want to do anything other than commute to and from work. And well the Volt would kick in every day which really makes it less appealing.

I can't wait for Model S deliveries to start showing up.

What's disappointing is that neither Fisker nor Coda is reporting sales to the typical outlets, i.e. Automotive News.

For what it's worth, Honda sold one FCX Clarity last month. First one in a while.

Another hitch in the Automotive News data is that they don't breakout sales within a nameplate, so they will not have figures on the Electric Focus and other non-unique electric models.

I can't wait for Model S deliveries to start showing up.

It will be interesting to see if they do, because Tesla also has never reported official sales figures for the Roadster.

I would have assumed the PiP would have gotten more sales than the Volt since it was new to market, probably had a wait list, has a heavily loyal fan base, and as the Prius moniker associated with it. Way below the rate of 17,000/year- if they keep the rate that up, they'll have roughly half the projected sales.
My concern is the Mitsubishi I, it only sold 56- it's not a lack of promotion either, I've seen it at car shows and commercials for it. I think it's the design.
Ford's numbers are lousy- 12 EVs in 3 months ouch. Wait until Fox news gets a hold on that $5 billion loan to develop EVs/12= 416 million per car- yeah, that'll make it on Fox to pan EVs

The figures here are for March are:

Nissan Leaf: 179
Mitsubishi I-MiEV: 83
Citroen C-Zero: 28
Peugeot iOn: 25
Tesla Roadster: 4
Opel Ampera: 4
Th!nk City: 3
Also, there was one electric van sold, but I couldn't figure out what kind. It's in a different set of statistics.
And also, I see fourwheel motorcycles are left out of the statistics, so the really small EVs aren't included. (Buddy, primarily)

The total is about 327, or about 2.5% of all cars sold here. (The Ampera doesn't stand a chance here - it's taxed too much for that. Electric cars on the other hand are tax free.)

Last edited:
The PiP appears to be only a "market tester" this year. Production is very limited and you had to reserve to get one. There's no surprise that the numbers sold are in line with the limited production, which is different than dealers having cars on the lot that can't be sold. Toyota really doesn't like electric cars and is only making the RAV4-EV because of competition. I suspect they won't make very many of those either.

They actually sell it, not just lease? How much?

No, it is a lease, but it's recorded as a sale to Honda's in-house leasing arm. Much in the same way that Automotive News had sales figures for the EV Plus, Nissan Altra and EV1. The old Honda FCX even shows up in there.

Not sure how much the lease rate is, but I'll bet the sticker price on which it's based is pretty high. Has anyone ever seen that figure?

For those scoring at home, Mercedes-Benz has "sold" 27 F-Cells since December 2010.

The PiP appears to be only a "market tester" this year. Production is very limited and you had to reserve to get one. There's no surprise that the numbers sold are in line with the limited production, which is different than dealers having cars on the lot that can't be sold. Toyota really doesn't like electric cars and is only making the RAV4-EV because of competition. I suspect they won't make very many of those either.

That's a shame, they were the poster child for green cars, but now they seem to be backing the wrong horse, it's good for short term, but bad for long term. I think in general the big car manufacturers can not commit themselves to EVs.

sales in Holland

Twitter

ApqWYArCAAAk-IE.png