Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ricardo Reyes with Square?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if Blankenship left, there'd be no concern since he's not involved in car design?

No, that's not what I said or implied. You asked why it was a big deal before when two execs left & not a blip over Reyes. Blankenship is in a key leadership position, as you are well aware. Reyes was not key, at least that's my perception. And it appears that was the market perception. (So far.)

No, that's not what I said or implied. You asked why it was a big deal before when two execs left & not a blip over Reyes. Blankenship is in a key leadership position, as you are well aware. Reyes was not key, at least that's my perception. And it appears that was the market perception. (So far.)
Sorry, what I got from your original statement is someone not in car design left and thus it didn't matter. Which surprised me since Blankenship isn't in car design and I'd think he matters.

Blankenship is a VP. Reyes is (was) a VP. Neither are in car design. Not sure why one matters and one doesn't. Not sure why the market went nuts when lower level folks resigned before, but doesn't blink when the VP of comms resigns, but presumably we think all think the market would blink if Blankenship resigned.

I don't have any answers, it's all sort of a mystery to me.

I would think it's because when two key employees leave about the same time it could indicate an issue with the company.

For me, it's a matter of confidence in the car.

2 Execs that worked on Model S leaving @ the same time? What do they know that we don't know? Is there a problem with the S?
The secondary public face of Tesla (Blankenship, behind Elon) and extremely vocal proponent of Tesla leaving? Uh oh... What the heck is going on over there?
A PR/Communications guy who has no real involvement in anything significant going on over there? *yawn*

Another key difference is a job was waiting for Mr. Reyes prior to his departure with Tesla. He was either head hunted by Squire or at the very least accepted the job with Squire prior to leaving. AFAIK regarding the two other execs, neither had job offers waiting for them upon their departure with Tesla; one left for "personal reasons" and the other was let go due to his services not needed anymore by Tesla. Very different perceived circumstances, at least by the market, between this departure and the previous ones.

Another key difference is a job was waiting for Mr. Reyes prior to his departure with Tesla. He was either head hunted by Squire or at the very least accepted the job with Squire prior to leaving. AFAIK regarding the two other execs, neither had job offers waiting for them upon their departure with Tesla; one left for "personal reasons" and the other was let go due to his services not needed anymore by Tesla. Very different perceived circumstances, at least by the market, between this departure and the previous ones.
I think that is the closest analysis. Someone leaving with another job lined up just points to poaching. The other two left with less clear reasons.

I also think AnOutsider made a valid point about some people being (at least perceived) as more important than others. Their rank (President/VP or smaller), visibility (a public face or more behind the scenes), department (it's not a stretch to say personnel changes in engineering/design may matter more in the initial development phase of a critical car than PR/communications).

How many times have we seen Reyes on camera (other than hauling Franz away from Chimpanzee)?

That's a good question outside of Mr. Musk and Mr. Blankenship, Reyes should have been the MOST visible Tesla Motors representative. I think he should have attended local, regional, national and international events talking about the Roadster, the "S", the "X" and Tesla Motors. Now that he's gone let's see if TM fills that position with someone that will be ready to represent Tesla Motors 24/7.