Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson Corridor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I am surpised there isn't an Arizona thread yet.

I am in Scottdale and I have Reservation P#3872. I have so far met Mark who has S1312.
Anyone else in the Scottsdale/Phoenix Area who would like to get into contact? PM me.

And in case you haven't seen it: Tesla filled for a Use Permit for a 3000 Sqft store in Fashion Square Mall in Scottsdale

Metro Phoenix represents a population of 4.1 million people or about 1.31% of the U.S. population. If there are approximately ten thousand Model S reservation holders in the country, that would estimate 131 reservation holders around Phoenix. Where are you guys (and ladies)?

Last edited:
And given the level of affluence of the area, I would have thought there would be more. Maybe they just don't hang out here. Also, aren't there tax benefits and carpool access for EVs? My friend in Scottsdale got a prius several years ago just for carpool access

Yeah, I've got a Prius and can use the HOV lane on the freeway. Arizona EVs pay a fraction for yearly car registration fees. I was also thinking that Scottsdale's affluence was apt to increase Tesla ownership. It looks like we've got a Tesla store coming to Scottsdale so that ought to help.

Last edited:
Also, talk about your car when the topic of cars or oil/energy independence comes up. A little free advertising for Tesla. Also, when your car arrives you'll be a mobile advertisement. Once people can actually see that the car is real, that will help sales.

Also, check out this thread
World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

Doesn't look like anyone from Arizona has added their pin to the map yet.

Last edited:
It looks to me like 7 Arizonans have a pin on the map, but that is far fewer than my estimate of the number of probable reservation holders given the state's population of 6 million. dsm363 is right that we'll be an advertisement on wheels once the car arrives. I'd thought about placing a description of Model S's characteristics in the window just so I won't have to answer too many questions when I return to my parked car. I assume that your Roadster gets some attention.

Yeah, Roadster does get attention. People walk up to you in parking lots asking questions all the time. I'd imagine the Model S will be similar.

Thanks for putting the pins on Robert's map. I was mistaken about there being no pins there before. Thanks.

Someone had something like 'quicker than a Ferrari, greener than a Prius' along the top of their Roadster's front windshield which I thought was cool. If you get the performance Model S, it will be quicker or as quick as all 911s except the Turbo, Turbo S and GT 2 RS. Probably easier to say 'quicker than a stock 911'.

Dave

The Phoenix Electric Automobile Association is fairly active in the valley and there is a fledgling Tesla Roadster Club being formed/named for the some 18 or so valley roadsters. Anyone who's interested in further information can PM me and I'll give you contact names and addresses.

On the TMC website, under the "Careers" section, there is a Tesla location designated as "US-AZ-Scottsdale-Fashion Square-Store" Looks like the store is going to happen, but can't find anything else in the news since March 24. There was not a listing, however, for a service location that most AZ rez holders would probably prefer. Yeah . . . I know . . . sales will drive the need for service.

Looks like the the Tesla "dealership" was approved according to http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/...ents/2012+Agendas/05-08-12_Regular_Agenda.pdf :

1. Tesla Retail/Fashion Square Mall Conditional Use Permit (6-UP-2012) – Approved on ConsentRequest: Adopt Resolution No. 9038 approving a Conditional Use Permit for vehicle leasing, rental,and sales in a 3,100± square-foot space located in Fashion Square Mall and six display/storageparking spaces included in a parking garage at Fashion Square Mall, with Downtown, RegionalCommercial Office Type 2, Planned Block Development, Downtown Overlay (D/RCO-2 PBD DO)zoning, and finding that the conditional use permit criteria have been met.
    Location: 7014 E. Camelback Road, Suite 1210, and six parking spaces in the parking garageStaff Contact(s): Connie Padian, Planning, Neighborhood, and Transportation Administrator, 480-312-2664, [COLOR=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)][email protected] [/COLOR]

At the May 8 meeting, Scottsdale City Council DID approve Tesla's request for a permit to open a store in Scottsdale Fashion Square.

More Good News: Within the staff recommendation to the council was a statement referencing a service center - "Delivery of the vehicles will be either to the client's home or the off-site service center."

Looks like Arizona will have a store AND service center. Nice to see 9 Phoenix area model S pins on the map and a new rez holder in Tucson!

At the May 8 meeting, Scottsdale City Council DID approve Tesla's request for a permit to open a store in Scottsdale Fashion Square.

More Good News: Within the staff recommendation to the council was a statement referencing a service center - "Delivery of the vehicles will be either to the client's home or the off-site service center."

Looks like Arizona will have a store AND service center. Nice to see 9 Phoenix area model S pins on the map and a new rez holder in Tucson!
I'm the one in Tucson with the reservation. For a look at what the plans for the store at Fashion Square Mall look like, take a look at http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/asset43979.aspx

Anyone know of a place in Flagstaff to charge and eat lunch? Would be needed for a 60kWh car driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. Recargo only had some battery store in Flagstaff.

Also, I tried to ask the operator of the Grand Canyon hotels if they have any charging but haven't heard back. Does anyone else have experience charging at the south rim?

Thanks