Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laid down 40k on this Audi RS3 Roadster killer...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
So after the disappointment of having a go of the Fluence on the motorway (the range gauge was dropping like a stone, not with a 3kW charger thanks), the news that the real Zoe will have 0-60 of 13.5 seconds and my wavering about the Ampera, I had a bunch of cash burning a hole in my pocket.

So I saw one of these for sale and decided to go for it: Pistonheads - Driven: Audi RS3 Sportback

I love this blue colour.

4.jpg

3.jpg

Wow, this thing is rapid. But that's not all. For another £999 I'm going to remap it for 410bhp and 0-60 in 3.7 seconds!

Check out the noise! Sounds just like the original UR Quattro rally cars.

Sorry guys, I had one of those "wtf are you doing Dave?" moments. Still, it gets 31MPG - almost as much as the Ampera on charge sustain mode.

Total Roadster killer for under £40k :biggrin::cool::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not walking the talk, eh?

I made huge compromises in performance and range when I settled on the LEAF, but it was a matter of principle and supporting the movement.

Thumbs down on sticking to your gas burning ways.
Come come now. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. And this is a very good car to drive on this fine Spring day!

OK...afternoon over there, time to come clean. Some of you weren't being fooled for long anyway :)

So there is a serious point to all this - and it's this:

There are people who will drone on about an EV (or an ER-EV) being expensive but think nothing about putting £40k down on (or lusting after) a souped up shopping cart.

I could be wrong, but I bet you they have sold more of these than Amperas. There were 500 of these coming to the UK and they've all sold out. In this economic climate.

Some people will spend £40k on a car that gets you to 60mph a few seconds quicker than everyone else.

Some people will spend £40k on a car that runs on sunlight.

As for me: my Ampera is still en route.

P.S. congratulations if you spotted the joke. (Your posts got temporarily hidden so everyone else could enjoy the thread.) Anyone notice the very cryptic clue?

OK...afternoon over there, time to come clean. Some of you weren't being fooled for long anyway :)

So there is a serious point to all this - and it's this:

There are people who will drone on about an EV (or an ER-EV) being expensive but think nothing about putting £40k down on (or lusting after) a souped up shopping cart.

I could be wrong, but I bet you they have sold more of these than Amperas. There were 500 of these coming to the UK and they've all sold out. In this economic climate.

Some people will spend £40k on a car that gets you to 60mph a few seconds quicker than everyone else.

Some people will spend £40k on a car that runs on sunlight.

As for me: my Ampera is still en route.

P.S. congratulations if you spotted the joke. (Your posts got temporarily hidden so everyone else could enjoy the thread.) Anyone notice the very cryptic clue?

All very true, unfortunately we have "fools" dissuading buyers from purchasing an EV due to their constant FUD drumbeat in the media. And that's sad because that buyer who instead purchases an ICE most likely won't be in a position to purchase an EV for many many years.

All very true, unfortunately we have "fools" dissuading buyers from purchasing an EV due to their constant FUD drumbeat in the media. And that's sad because that buyer who instead purchases an ICE most likely won't be in a position to purchase an EV for many many years.

The silver lining is that it didn't take too many years for the Prius to become popular and the same "fools" beat the same FUD drums. Radial tires had a similar reception. Once enough real EVs get out there, I expect the same public reaction when they actually see the cars and hear from their acquaintances how happy they are with them (always assuming they "are" happy with them).