Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Managing the music on the hard drive over my home network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
I'm hoping that while Model S is parked, charging, in the garage and connected to my home network, I'll be able to see the hard drive and manage the content. Primarily music, but playlist support is key like .m3u Playlist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone know if this will be supported? It might be assumed, but I thought I'd ask since it would be a big miss if the hard drive was not accessible from my home network or standard playlist support was not available. :eek:

The problem with such open file sharing arrangements is that someone with technical prowess can take advantage of it to potentially introduce malware into the system. What is most convenient for us become a most convenient asset of access for them. That cannot happen in such a critically vital component as the Model S computer system. Granted, they have likely isolated or compartmentalized much, it would likely take some additional software engineering to assure that malware could not be introduced by open file sharing constructs.

Proper security though I hope.

The problem with such open file sharing arrangements is that someone with technical prowess can take advantage of it to potentially introduce malware into the system. What is most convenient for us become a most convenient asset of access for them. That cannot happen in such a critically vital component as the Model S computer system. Granted, they have likely isolated or compartmentalized much, it would likely take some additional software engineering to assure that malware could not be introduced by open file sharing constructs.

Yep. I've said it in the past; I hope Tesla keeps an eye on the security aspect of things. OTA updates, remotely monitoring your cars etc. All that's going out over some protocol and it would be disastrous for that to become compromised. Would give Wardriving a whole a new meaning.

I would say it would be a huge mistake not to cater to the masses and offer iTunes syncing! Sure, add other formats as well, but don't leave the majority feeling they were forgotten.

Agreed. Just so long as there is some security involved. I agree that we should also have some connectivity to other devices and support multiple formats, but it's nigh impossible to keep everyone happy. It's amazing how many people might protest and call this the most ridiculous application of in-car entertainment, simply because they cannot get their ogg vorbis tracks to play!

Yep. I've said it in the past; I hope Tesla keeps an eye on the security aspect of things. OTA updates, remotely monitoring your cars etc. All that's going out over some protocol and it would be disastrous for that to become compromised. Would give Wardriving a whole a new meaning.
If I am correct, the O/A updates are encrypted and only decrypted upon installation. Back room talks said that was to keep prying eyes out of the files