Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S mobile App ... OS?

What OS will you use?

• iOS

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Android

Votes: 42 22.1%
  • Windows Phone 7

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Black Berry

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Symbian

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • WebOS (PalmOS)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Other Smartphone OS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use a regular mobile phone!

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • I don't have a mobile phone!

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Ok I do have a smartphone. But it isn't iOS, Android, WinPhone, or BlackBerry. So right now I am not holding out for a special app. I am just curious what type of smartphone or regular phone you have and plan on using to remotely control the Model S.

I thought I heard at a Tesla event on the east coast that the engineers working on the mobile app are former Apple, Inc. employees who worked on the OS for the original iPod.

Also, they've already demoed an iOS app at multiple events. So we know there's at least one being worked on for iOS.

Yay! I'm not the only WP7 user for once haha. If they only do iOS and Android, I'm sure there will be a web interface, and if not, I carry around my iPad anyway.

Plus, as time goes on, we'll probably see unofficial apps pop up (for better or for worse)

How is the app going to communicate with the Model S? It would need to communicate over the internet, which would necessitate the need for a cellular data connection for the car. Imagine you want to change the cabin temperature (or check on the car) while you're off shopping. You would not be able to use your cell phone as a WiFi hotspot for your car (as many want to do), since you would not be in close proximity of the car. I certainly hope they allow free cellular data for low-bandwidth communication with the car (similar to Kindle's Whispernet which is limited to downloading the small ebooks). I see this also being problematic if you're parked somewhere without cellular reception (such as an underground public garage).

I certainly hope they allow free cellular data for low-bandwidth communication with the car (similar to Kindle's Whispernet which is limited to downloading the small ebooks).

Whispernet is not free. It is paid for out of the book you are downloading.

I guess that they could do something like the N years free map updates. Charge it all up-front, so there is no monthly bill.

Roadster has 'free' cellular for Tesla's own use - they can justify that by it being under their control, getting valuable battery performance data from the car, and getting paid for the annual service.

I thought someone said that every Model S will have low-bandwidth 3G connection for status & control. I'm hoping this is including for the 'lifetime' of the car, kinda like a Kindle has low-bandwidth 3G connectivity for free to download books.

If you want web, streaming music, etc, you will need a data plan from AT&T. Also hoping that AT&T rolls out the shared family dataplan so we can share data plan between ModelS and iPhone.