Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mobile Service Team - Canadian Maintenance/Repair Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the official website won't let me post I'm posting this here. If someone wants to link this or post this for me on the Tesla website that would be great, otherwise answers here would be appreciated :)

As a Canadian Tesla Model S fan living in Red Deer, AB, Canada, I am one of the many Canadians who suffer from distance problems of wanting a TM EV. Those of which is distance to nearest service center for maintenance and/or repair.

A Tesla Model S Signature with a 480km range battery pack is my preferred choice of build. My issues with that are cost to have someone come from the nearest Canadian service center (Toronto, ON [3442km]) or the actual closest service center which is in the United States(Seattle, WA [1,279km]) to arrive and preform the yearly maintenance but also to repair my vehicle?

Scenario 1: I’ve ran the car for 1 year and it’s time for its yearly maintenance. I pay the per-kilometer rate +$600 service charge from either Seattle or Toronto. This means my yearly service is going to cost anywhere from $3158 - $7484 assuming I have to pay $1/km roundtrip from one of these destinations (Toronto or Seattle.)

Scenario 2: I’ve been in an accident (collision, windshield smashed, vandalism, etc..) and my car must be repaired. How does a Canadian go about this being so far away from the nearest service center? Is there a charge to come pickup your vehicle and haul it to the nearest center to get repaired? If so, how much is covered by insurance, and how much comes out of pocket?

Am I the only one with these concerns? Frankly they are my only ones. I am personally not worried about the cold Alberta winters; although, if someone knows how they operate in -40C/F (Being plugged in while parked of course,) I’d value your input.

Actually, the ranger cost in Canada is $0.65 per km. The distance they use is to the closest Tesla location, not the one the Ranger actually comes from.

Tesla is talking about rolling out more service locations. Calgary is an obvious candidate. So hopefully by the time you need service the distance will not be nearly so large.

Body repairs are often done by third party repair shops, I'm told, not by Tesla themselves. Most likely that sort of work would be done more locally.

I've had my Roadster out in -26C weather and cold soaked, and it handled it better than my ICE car does. I don't think you'll have a problem with the cold.

Thanks for the reply Doug_G. It's good to hear that it's only .65 cents. I hope they do one in Alberta somewhere.

Do you know what happens if the motor gets damaged in an accident? Or the windshield? Windshields are the first things to go on Albertan roads and I could be looking at replacing it at least once a year ):

PS. At the time of this post the forum moderators still have not approved my last post in response to Lloyd. Not sure why my account has a restriction S:

Thanks for the reply Doug_G. It's good to hear that it's only .65 cents. I hope they do one in Alberta somewhere.

Do you know what happens if the motor gets damaged in an accident? Or the windshield? Windshields are the first things to go on Albertan roads and I could be looking at replacing it at least once a year ):

PS. At the time of this post the forum moderators still have not approved my last post in response to Lloyd. Not sure why my account has a restriction S:

The motor is buried deep in the car. I doubt it could get damaged unless the car was already a write-off.

Windshields can likely be replaced by any competent glass shop.

On occasion Tesla has arranged for local garages to do warranty work of a "conventional car" nature. For example, a local shop replaced my Roadster's defective tire pressure monitor, and it was covered by my Tesla warranty (by prior arrangement). Obviously Tesla has to do any powertrain-related work themselves. With the Model S diagnostics can be performed remotely.

Tesla will be opening a service center in Vancouver, a small shop in Montreal (only staffed when needed), and one in Calgary.

For those of us using Ranger service, this will reduce costs substantially. Of course if you're actually in one of these cities...

Tesla will be opening a service center in Vancouver, a small shop in Montreal (only staffed when needed), and one in Calgary.

For those of us using Ranger service, this will reduce costs substantially. Of course if you're actually in one of these cities...

Doug,

Is this confirmed info about Montreal?

Does your source (s) have any idea as to where it may be in the city?

:smile:

Any word on the status of the Vancouver service centre? I have emailed Hans on this, but he has not responded. Anyone have recent info about timing or location?

I noticed on the Tesla Website, in the careers section, that they have a job opening for the Vancouver - Robson Street location. I guess this is where it is going to be?? Sounds like a crazy spot for one though. I would rather not have to drive downtown to have my annual service done. Perhaps this will be the sales centre and the service centre will be elsewhere??

I noticed on the Tesla Website, in the careers section, that they have a job opening for the Vancouver - Robson Street location. I guess this is where it is going to be?? Sounds like a crazy spot for one though. I would rather not have to drive downtown to have my annual service done. Perhaps this will be the sales centre and the service centre will be elsewhere??

Thatis how they usually do it. They probably haven't announced the service center address yet... might not even know what it is yet.

I was told by someone, I think it would have been Hans, at the Model X reveal event, that the STORE would be in the central shopping district (Robson is perfect), as the other recent stores have been, and that they were looking to put the service centre in Richmond. But I was asking about timing. George B in his 8-21 blog post indicated that LOTS of news about new stores and service centres is coming. So hopefully we will all know a lot more about sites beyond Toronto soon.

I spoke with Hans when Tesla had a three-day event in Vancouver in June. When I asked him whether Tesla plans to open a service centre on the west coast, he said there would be one on Robson St sometime in the fall (I think he said "go big or go home" lol). Real estate prices / rents are crazy expensive in downtown Vancouver. Richmond or Burnaby would be more reasonable and more central in the GVRD. Driving through traffic in downtown Vancouver certainly isn't the best way to spend one's time, but on the bright side, when a Tesla is brought in for service, everyone (including those cruising in Lamborghini / Ferrari / Porsche / Maserati / and tourists) will definitely notice it.