Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 4.4 seconds vs 5.6 seconds alone worth $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jrhodesmd

S Sig #371, X Prod #1143
Mar 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I have a question I need to pose. I am considering upgrading to the performance. However, I wouldn't get either the carbon fiber interior or the performance rims - just not my color tastes. I don't really care about the exterior accents. Plus it would force me to go to the black interior from white - I can't have white alcantara with two kids, they will destroy that in a week. SO that leaves the question - is going from a 60 time of 5.6 to 4.4 really worth $10k? Is 5.6 "fast enough?"

"fast enough" is just subjective. My Prius goes 0-60 in 10.9 seconds and that's "fast enough", my wife's Highlander Hybrid goes 0-60 in 7 sec and seems very fast, more than I've ever needed. so 5.6 is going to feel like a bullet to me. That said, others have said that the real benefit of the performance is the mid-speed acceleration benefit for passing and such, where it could be important, particularly in a single gear EV.

Whether it's worth it is also purely subjective and up to you and your budget. I'd get it if I could afford it just b/c I'd like to show of what an EV can do to those who are doubters at the very best. But I just can't afford the extra $5-10k over what the non-performance with the features I want will cost for that extra bit of power/speed.

My current car VW GTI does 0-60 just under 7 seconds. I think it is plenty fast. Depends on how much you like your $10k. And think about how often you would do 0-60 faster than 6 seconds.

It is a personal choice. I am in the (un)fortunate position where I can't afford that choice. :smile:

Probably not worth it if you don't like the CF accents or the 21" performance unless the acceleration alone is worth that much to you. It is a personal preference as was mentioned though.

5.6s is plenty fast. That said I'm getting the perf version so I can show my friends and family what electric cars are capable of. The rims and carbon fibre are nice bonuses, but I'm getting the perf version for it's acceleration.

What do you drive now?? How fast is it 0-60?

I have a question I need to pose. I am considering upgrading to the performance. However, I wouldn't get either the carbon fiber interior or the performance rims - just not my color tastes. I don't really care about the exterior accents. Plus it would force me to go to the black interior from white - I can't have white alcantara with two kids, they will destroy that in a week. SO that leaves the question - is going from a 60 time of 5.6 to 4.4 really worth $10k? Is 5.6 "fast enough?"

I'm guessing that this is a difficult question to answer - I'll bet for most "It depends."

I've decided _not_ to get the performance option - the Model S will be a rocket compared to my current ride. I did think about it though.

I figured if I had it, I'd use it a few times (that is, accelerate in <5.6 sec) for fun, and when demonstrating to envious friends, then that'd be it.

One thing I'd be very curious about is whether the performance option gives you significantly better 40-60 or 60-80 times, for quick onramp acceleration and passing . I *could* see myself using that.

/Mitch.

That said, others have said that the real benefit of the performance is the mid-speed acceleration benefit for passing and such, where it could be important, particularly in a single gear EV.

Whether it's worth it is also purely subjective and up to you and your budget. I'd get it if I could afford it just b/c I'd like to show of what an EV can do to those who are doubters at the very best.

I beleive that Efusco has given you the 2 main reasons to consider getting the performance.

The delta is actually $15K! $84,900 vs $69,900 after the federal tax credit.
Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

*EDIT*: assumed you are a non-sig. If a sig, yes, the delta is $10K. Sorry.

5.9 seconds for me (as I'm getting the 60kWh pack) is plenty fast - I don't think we'd need the additional 'fizz' from the perf even for mid-speed acceleration for passing (unless you badly want to get the attention of the highway patrol); if you wan't to take it out on the track though, it's a completely different ballgame.

The delta is actually $15K! $84,900 vs $69,900 after the federal tax credit.
Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

*EDIT*: assumed you are a non-sig. If a sig, yes, the delta is $10K. Sorry.

5.9 seconds for me (as I'm getting the 60kWh pack) is plenty fast - I don't think we'd need the additional 'fizz' from the perf even for mid-speed acceleration for passing (unless you badly want to get the attention of the highway patrol); if you wan't to take it out on the track though, it's a completely different ballgame.

Yeah, as gg mentions it's a $15k delta for non-sig models (though you do get some extras in the performance package which you may have already wanted anyways). And then you have to consider tax, which on $15k can easily be another $1k.

But that assumes you're already convinced you want the 85kWh pack. But what about those that really don't need or want the extra range, but would love the extra performance? For someone set on the 60kWh pack, he's looking at a $25k cost to get the added Performance. Or someone getting the 40kWh would need to drop an additional $35k (!) to get the performance benefit. I'm kind of on the fence between the 40kWh and 60kWh packs, but would love the extra performance. 99% of my driving will be within the 40kWh range, so I don't stand to benefit much at all with the extra range. That's why I would love it had Tesla offered performance upgrades for all pack versions (even if it didn't mean equaling the same level as the 85kWh performance). $10 - $15k to bring the 60kWh down to 4.8s? Deal. Could have been a great way to make some extra high margin profits on the lower end cars. But I suspect a lot of it had to do with the battery warranties and wanting to be able to stand behind their industry leading warranties.

I would want it, but I'm not getting it.
1. I'm stretching my budget as it is.
2. The delta is $15k for me. I wouldn't get any of the options included with the performance. My options (sun-roof, kids seats, tech package) are still all extra.
3. It will be our family car, so I doubt that I will use it as my daily driver. And my wife couldn't care less about the extra speed.

But if the car was for me, and I had the luxury of not having to care if I spent an extra $15k, then yeah... I'd get it.

I loveeee fast cars. I do 0-60 in LOTS of places (most of which I'm sure IL state police would frown upon...), BUT if I had the same situation as you, I would stick with the 5.6 sec non-perf. You get the exterior and interior you want, the kids won't destroy it as easily, you still get a very good 0-60 time, you save 15k, and either way, you have a TESLA!!! :)

I think you'll still have ample passing torque with the non-perf version.

Good luck in your decision!! Let us know what you decide.

I'm going to give you a mixed message...

As a Roadster owner I've become addicted to the incredible acceleration. That said, I did not get the Sport version because spending $22,000 for 0.2 seconds did not seem worthwhile.

I've not accurately timed my ICE car (Infiniti G37xS) but it's in the five-and-a-half seconds range. It's actually plenty fast - about the same as the standard Model S - but it's all sound and fury when you floor it. It also has terrible throttle lag. Even though I think it's decently fast, it's not nearly as much fun to drive. The best thing about the Tesla is the instantaneous torque control. I also enjoy the regenerative braking, and the smooth, quiet acceleration. I'm certain that I would enjoy driving the standard Model S much more than the G37.

All that said, 1.1 seconds is a pretty big performance improvement, and to me that seems a lot more worthwhile for the price difference. So I'm going for the performance version.

I think the red piping on the black seats looks pretty nice, Performance adds the leather ($1500) + you get air suspension $$? and aero or perf wheels if you want either
So say the air suspension is worth about $10K then the pricing for a performance is just the same as standard 85

That's how I'll justify it, then borrow from next year to balance this year and the year after to cover the... by then It shouldn't matter & I'll have my S

Since it was the performance announcement that got me to go from P# to Sig# back in October, obviously, it's worth it to me. Now that I know more, it's even more worth it to me. I dislike all of the interior trims except the CF.

Also, it's costing me a LOT more than $10k. If it weren't for performance, I would probably be buying the $70k non-sig with 19" wheels and single charger. As it is, with Winter tire package, (which I wouldn't need with the 19" wheels), the performance is going to cost me north of $110k. But you only live once and I should have it paid off within a year.

As a Roadster owner I've become addicted to the incredible acceleration. That said, I did not get the Sport version because spending $22,000 for 0.2 seconds did not seem worthwhile.....

...., 1.1 seconds is a pretty big performance improvement, and to me that seems a lot more worthwhile for the price difference. So I'm going for the performance version.

+1. That's exactly my situation.

It's of course, a personal decision, but for me, absolutely. I remember back when there was debate about if the "sport" version would even exist and if it would be low 5 seconds. I wanted 4.9 iirc and we got 4.4, so that's great for me. So yes, for me, 10k is absolutely worth the performance I'm expecting to get out of it.

IAs a Roadster owner I've become addicted to the incredible acceleration. That said, I did not get the Sport version because spending $22,000 for 0.2 seconds did not seem worthwhile.

All that said, 1.1 seconds is a pretty big performance improvement, and to me that seems a lot more worthwhile for the price difference. So I'm going for the performance version.
+2. I did the same w/ my Roadster (too much $$ for too little gain) and am doing the same thing w/ model S. Performance on the Model S nets you a 20% acceleration improvement. That is a HUGE difference and worth the money to me.