Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I thought this was a good idea for a thread that Larry started over in the Florida section. Maybe Tesla will see this.

I think Tesla needs to put 3 or 4 Superchargers in the state to start. One should be in Columbus, TX for travel between Houston and San Antonio. People traveling from Austin to Houston and back might be able to use it too. One between Dallas, Houston and Austin would work as well.

Centerville would be ideal, but I don't see it happening. You also need one out west of Ft. Worth, like at Abilene.

Lets take Milage into account:
144.53 from Abilene to Midland
183 from Dallas to Abilene

118 from Centerville to Dallas
112 from Centerville to Houston

72 from Colombus to Houston
122 from Colombus to San Antonio

I think that this would cover most of Texas. You'd need 2 more if you were wanting to go to El Paso and 1 more to go to Lubbock.

Yes, midpoints + on interstates, think triangles. Houston/Dallas/San Antonio (with part way from Austin to Dallas as that leg's midpoint) - this is easily the primo triangle. Dallas/San Antonio/El Paso would require 3+ on the long legs, Dallas/Amarillo/Midland (which captures Wichita Falls, Lubbock, and Abilene), then kind of a diamond to the border that takes in Laredo/Brownsville/Corpus/San Antonio. But 3 chargers, one on each leg of the primo triangle, would be a great start.

I think the map was for people to add their suggested locations, and amend to others. Temple would make another good stop. I was trying to cover as much of the state as possible while using as few charging locations as possible. (I was also bored at 2:30 AM.) I was also trying to stray away from having the Superchargers in the major cities as they'd probably have 20KW access at hotels, movie theaters, etc.

I think the map was for people to add their suggested locations, and amend to others. Temple would make another good stop. I was trying to cover as much of the state as possible while using as few charging locations as possible. (I was also bored at 2:30 AM.) I was also trying to stray away from having the Superchargers in the major cities as they'd probably have 20KW access at hotels, movie theaters, etc.

I was thinking along the lines of "how would people get into or out of Texas" on more of a national level. I figure if Texas has ways to get between it's major cities, then all would be needed would be routes to get to that infrastructure. I agree with having the Superchargers away from major cities is probably better - as long as the city supports EV charging (few & far between right now AFAIK).

Rather than pick spots to place "Supercharger booths", I think Tesla is more likely to partner with say, McDonalds, Starbucks, or Exxon to place Superchargers at places already supplied with electricity & restrooms, and able to feed & drink while you wait. In that case we should see them bloom all over the place.

Does Blink or ChargePoint list their future installations? I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the free charger in Tyler at their Fresh Grocery store requires a membership with ChargePoint unless you have a credit card with an RFID chip in it.

I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the free charger in Tyler at their Fresh Grocery store requires a membership with ChargePoint unless you have a credit card with an RFID chip in it.

I highly recommend getting a ChargePoint card, especially if you ever plan to travel to Austin. ChargePoint has an option for a small one time payment (no monthly fee) to sign-up and you'll be able to use any of their chargers without having to fool around with single activation via credit card.

do they have any set dates for set up of each supercharger or does it depends on availability :p
I think the state governments also should set up many many superchargers.
This will help the economy so much as everyone would want to buy an EV.
Finally we can forget Oil and i will watch the Next movie "An EV revolution!" :)