Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 charger from 110 voltage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how can you know you have opposite phases? Is there a way to check? If you're wrong do bad things happen?
The Quick220 will let you know if you've plugged in to split phases or not by lighting up a little LED.

Otherwise, you have to know which circuit breaker feeds each outlet and then know which circuit breaker is on what half of the phase. Typically breakers next to each other and breakers opposite of each other are on different halfs.

If you're wrong - you get zero voltage potential between the 2 hot leads since they are in sync instead of the 240V you would expect.

how can you know you have opposite phases? Is there a way to check? If you're wrong do bad things happen?

I built one for myself that I can use with my LEAF. I put a Volt meter into the box. So, if both 120V are the same phase, the meter reads 120V, but if I find different phases then I see 240V.

I built one for myself that I can use with my LEAF. I put a Volt meter into the box. So, if both 120V are the same phase, the meter reads 120V, but if I find different phases then I see 240V.

In what circumstances do you plan to use this device? Indoors and outdoors? Only at known locations where you are confident regarding the wiring? I'd be a bit leary of running long extension cords and connecting them overnight.

Do you think that such a device would work equally well, or be as safe, with Roadsters, Model Ss versus the Leaf?

Thanks.

Larry

In what circumstances do you plan to use this device? Indoors and outdoors? Only at known locations where you are confident regarding the wiring? I'd be a bit leary of running long extension cords and connecting them overnight.

Do you think that such a device would work equally well, or be as safe, with Roadsters, Model Ss versus the Leaf?
Like TEG, I built my own as well. Lots of detail on how to do it in this thread on mynissanleaf.com: My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources
If you're not comfortable working with high voltage, I don't recommend you build your own but pay the quick220 guys to do it for you!

I plan on using it in areas where there aren't any handy 240V outlets and charging at 120V/12A will mean too long a wait.

I would make sure the box stays indoors - at least mine isn't outdoor rated.

Aim to have both plugged into 20A circuits which is safe for up to 16A charging. Garges, laundry rooms and kitches are good locations for finding 20A circuits, although they can't be GFCI protected as the device will trip GFCI since it only uses the hot line from each circuit thus leading the GFCI to think there's a large ground fault since no return current goes over the neutrals.

On 15A circuits, limit current to 12A (though in theory 16A is OK for short periods of time).

As always make sure the receptacles are in good shape - I would limit extension cord use to no more than 25ft.

With a volt meter in the device one can check voltage drop when the car starts charging which services to verify that wiring is OK!

There really is no more issue using one of these than using L1 120V charging - the amount of current pulled through each is similar - so if you are confident charging on each outlet at 120V/12A, then you are good to charge 240V/12A and are able to charge twice as fast.

This is cool. Totally going to get one of these. Thanks for bumping this thread as I had never heard of this. Will be really useful for times like when I drive to my parents house where there is no convenient 220 outlet. I would imagine this may prove useful when traveling and staying in a rental cabin or such as well. Hotels are the other place I always which has connections, but that would probably be harder as they get nervous about extension cords running all over.

I know of at least one person who carries a set of 220volt circuit breakers and some wire with a 14-50 outlet at the other end. He pops the cover off the breaker box (which in CA is usually near the garage), inserts the circuit breaker and viola - instant 220 volt, high amperage outlet for use with the UMC.

Of course, this doesn't meet code so you'd be in double trouble if you burnt the house down...

I built one of these with a voltage meter and a switch. The meter is good for monitoring voltage drop and line quality and of course finding opposing phases. The SPDT switch with off in the middle switches it from 240v to 120v so the same device doubles as a 120v solution if you ultimately don't find two plugs within reach on opposing phases. The biggest problem I have using this thing is finding two outlets that aren't GFCI.

Does anyone know if you could bridge multiple 240V 50Amp connections? There are RV's with dual 14-50 plugs (100Amp Total) and campgrounds with multiple plugs together.
Use 2 or more 10kW charging boards using different 14-50 outlets producing the DC voltage for charging and bridging them together (and add EVSE circuitry).
This is how I understand that the supercharger works using 9 x 10kW charging boards on 3 different phases - so it would be a small scale supercharger from multiple single phases.

It would be nice if there were multiple plugs already on car for this and dual chargers could be utilized without the high power wall connector .

The biggest problem I have using this thing is finding two outlets that aren't GFCI.

I was checking out my brother in law's house this weekend, and all the outlets by the front door and in the garage are GFCI. I guess this is common practice in newer homes for any outlet near water. We're not about to have extension cords keeping the door to the garage open and running around the inside of the house, so I think I will need to (a) stay 2 nights and trickle charge, or (2) go shopping or have a meal at a place with a level 2 charger and trickle charge to top off. Kind of a pain but not a deal breaker.

Speaking of breakers, their house panel has no space left, so I won't be installing an extra 220v outlet in their garage.