Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gumball Rally - May 5-6 IL/WI/MI/IA +SuperCar Saturday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I would like to extend everyone here an invitation to the 2012 Gumball Rally Cruise, May 5-6th. It will be a day full of rare cars, great fellowship, and my personal favorite: Back Road Twistys. :tongue: We are keeping the cars involved to an exotic/performance standard so you will be in good company.

The Rally will officially start in New Glarus, WI around noon for the Cruise portion. Unofficially for those in the Chicago and surrounding area, some of us are starting at the Famous Super-Car Saturday in Chicago and then meeting up with everyone in New Glarus.

SATURDAY: 140 miles total, {Route - Day 1} Map is for generalization purposes.

8:00 - Supercar Saturdays in Chicago for some - leave around 10:30am.
11:30 - Pick up any IL folks who can't make it to SSC - somewhere along the route TBD
12:30 - Start Point: Quaker Steak & Lube, Middleton, Gather with rest of group, Chat/(Food)
1:30 - Take off for Spirited drive with 3-4 stops (Mineral Point, Highland, Muscoda to Vy
5:00 - Botham Winery/Vineyard (Who doesn't love a good wine tasting)
6:00 - Dinner TBD
7:00 - Head to the Hotel (See accommodations below)
- Chill/Drinks (hotel has a Gorgeous open Lounge/Cafe)

SUNDAY: 85 miles total, {Route - Day 2} Map is for generalization purposes.
(We do have some people meeting us just for Saturday)

8:00 - Breakfast/Gas for ICE/Checkout (actual start time to be determined)
9:00 - Begin Day 2
10:00 - Merrimac Ferry, (Cars on water, bet you wouldn't have guessed that)
10:30 - Crazy route through Spring Green
12:00 - Cave of Mounds, (Great scenic social hangout to conclude an eventful weekend)

More Details on Sights Etc. Links are Here.

- Hotel: One of the most important parts of the trip. We will be staying at the "Courtyard" by Marriott Middleton. We have a Group Reservation set up along with reserved parking pre-roped off for us so we don't have to worry about parking in safe areas. Website of the hotel, Courtyard by Marriott West The group code LTCLTCA should auto populate. The hotel is $80 for a King suite and $100 for one with 2 Queens.

- Botham Winery - we'll hit this as the last place. We'll see about a quick tour/tasting, but it's right on the route and is all about cars! They do a great vintage car/racecar show each August and the owner is a vintage racer dude. Google them!

- Dinner/Cocktails - we'll firm that up but there's tons in Madison and a pretty nice amount right nearby in Middleton.

Sunday:

- Merrimac Ferry - takes 7 minutes. Runs across 'Lake' Wisconsin. Can fit 15 cars at a time. Looks really cool! Might take us 30 minutes to get through it.

- Spring Green - this is a cool area if you've never been. Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin is there. The town is all about green, peace and hippies. We can grab a quick organic, free trade, cruelty-free coffee at the 'famous' Spring Green General Store and make the natives happy.

- Cave of the Mounds - This is where we end, stay and chat with new friends, check out the caves or take a tour. Full tour is 1 hour. Tours run every half hour.

**** If you like to join us or have any questions let me know below **** Hope to see a few of you guys out there, it really is a great experience for everyone who comes out.

Cheers,
-Chris Hundley
Concept:Carbon

The Hotel has only the 120v available but their building engineer is trying to 220v . I am looking around the hotel to find a more feasible option for you guys and looking at charging stations around the SP Quaker Steak for you guys to charge before we leave on Saturday. Also I am looking into finding an enclosed transport for guys coming from SCS. I am using a multi-car enclosed trailer for my cars from Cincinnati to Chicago. I would even let a Tesla owner take my spots on the trailer for the drive to New Glarus so they could start the day on a full charge. Tesla Chicago also has a list of charge stations around Bolingbrook (SCS location). I will keep you updated.

If you are intrested in going, we'll find a way,
- Chris

I'd love to do this, but the charging is really an issue. It's 30-35 miles for me to SCS, and then 140 more miles for the day. Driving will not be very spirited for me unless I want to end the day at 0. Then, I'll need a full charge overnight, since 85 miles + home to Chicago is another 200+ miles. In fact, I'd need to charge before returning home even if I started Sunday with a full charge.

I'd love to do this, but the charging is really an issue. It's 30-35 miles for me to SCS, and then 140 more miles for the day. Driving will not be very spirited for me unless I want to end the day at 0. Then, I'll need a full charge overnight, since 85 miles + home to Chicago is another 200+ miles. In fact, I'd need to charge before returning home even if I started Sunday with a full charge.

Same for me, I would attend if we can get charging facilities. I will check the Chargepoint and Recargo maps to see what is available.

Ok, I'll look for a charging station around the start point, to top you guys offsince we'll bee there for ~1.5 hours. I can trailer you guys back down to chicago if you would like, or we can head back catch a fast charger point on the way and grab some food while you guys charge. I'll call around and brainstorm and see what we can do.

-Chris

Ok I found 4 Public Charge Points within 3 min from the hotel, 2 at a police station/Library and another in front of a strip mall and all say unrestricted/free on Chargepoint (J1772 30A). So we have plenty of charge points at the start and finish. So "WE HAVE CHARGING!!!"

Supercar Saturday in Chicago is not part of the Gumball Rally, we are using it as something for the Chicago guys to do. The Majority of the Rally guys are meeting in New Glarus, WI at the Start Point (SP). There is a few charge points within 20 miles of there so if guys are more north and want to meet there instead a little ahead of time let me know and I'll help organize it. For the guys going to SCS we can leave with the group but head to a charge station to top you off. We can load you up afterward and head to the SP to meet up with the group. The ICE guys that are attending SCS with us are going to wait at the SP for us for an hour and a half so we make sure you are completely charged. I want to make sure that you have no Range Issues at all, especially with the spirited driving. :D I have a phone meeting with the owner of the Vineyard Thursday and will see what we can do for charging while we are there, along with setting up the private tour as a precautionary measure to get you guys some juice half way through the second day.

Sunday after the morning jaunts and after everything is over we can head to the Charge points that are just east and grab some food then drive back to Chicago (150 miles to middle of city, 170 to Flossmoor). We can also E trailer them back down.

Side note, Wow do I have so much more respect for all of you after researching all of this. You really gave up a lot of convenience to stand for what you believe in. It's nice though to see all the new public charge stations as well.

***Keep asking questions so I know that I'll have all the bases covered for you guys!

- Chris

Last edited: