Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Englanders -- check in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
Greetings, fellow New Englanders. Please reply on this thread to say hello.

I'm Robert, and I live in Boston (really, not a suburb). I'm an energy economist and consultant to wholesale power market participants and governments, so EVs are something of a busman's holiday for me. Looking forward to my Model S this fall!

Hi Robert!

I own a Roadster in VT about half-way up the state not far from Dartmouth College in NH. My wife might get a Model S when our number comes up so we can be an all-electric family. We're about half-way between Boston and Montreal with 70 amps for anyone passing through.

I've enjoyed your intelligent and informative presence on this forum and look forward to meeting you in person some day.

I'd like to organize a rally in VT this fall in early October (peak foliage) when it's breathtakingly beautiful driving through our mountains. Hoping to work out logistics this summer.

-Henry

Last edited:
Robert and I met some months ago at a school's energy fair while I demo'ed my Roadster and answered questions.
I've had the Roadster since October 2010. I live in Newton, MA. I have a Model S (special sig) reservation. Check out my signature for my blog (which I need to update!)
I've been doing IT Systems Admin/Engineering for ~15 years now.

Hi Robert!

I always read your posts. Nice work! I'm an avid reader of the forums and signed up 4 weeks ago in Brookline with reservation no. 7459. Looking forward to the test drive next. I was just fiddling with the new Web Design Studio and it's looking like the Grey Napa Leather with Piano Black accents interior and Black exterior with 19-inch wheels. Still on the fence about the Pano roof.

Hopefully we can all meet up sometime this summer, perhaps immediately after some of the early reservation holders receive their cars.

I live in South Dartmouth, MA. I'm a Field Application Engineer for an Annapolis, MD company. When I'm not traveling, I'm working from home.
Excited to be a member of the Tesla Motors Club of New England!

Paul L

Hello fellow electrified enthusiasts. I am a Robert as well. I live in Fairfield, CT and at number 4,538 for an S. Seems so far away but worth the wait. Going to buy up to the performance package. Dark Grey at this point with black leather, carbon fiber trim, and pano roof.

I am contemplating picking the car up at the factory and driving it cross country home. Any of you electric veterns have any ideas/experience with that? I know it will take a while (I look forward to that) but not sure it is even possible. In New England and CA, seems like distance between charging locations is not a problem. But in the big wide open places in the middle, will I have to run an extension cord from my Motel 6 room?

RV sites will be the best stops for charging in the middle of the country until Superchargers are available. Then, depending on what is available at the campsite (some have cabins) or maybe motels nearby, whichever monitor system is available to you (tattler, OVMS or whatever is new for Model S) you can remotely monitor the charging process. Previously, with the Roadster, you kinda had to be there to be sure charging carried on.

@rjsmith3rd: Hi! I spent a quiet morning one weekend plotting how to do that same trip. It's certainly possible, though there are challenging bits -- I was routing myself through Lake Tahoe, across Nevada to Salt Lake City, across to Denver, through Kansas, and then through Ohio and across to New England from the Buffalo area. RV parks are essential in getting across the west -- I also have a friend with a farm conveniently located mid-Kansas. Once you get east of Chicago, there are lots of options. I figured a little less than two weeks, allowing for a leisurely pace to enjoy scenic driving.

Your car is likely to be available mid-winter, which is problematic because many RV parks close in the winter.

I am contemplating picking the car up at the factory and driving it cross country home. Any of you electric veterns have any ideas/experience with that? I know it will take a while (I look forward to that) but not sure it is even possible. In New England and CA, seems like distance between charging locations is not a problem. But in the big wide open places in the middle, will I have to run an extension cord from my Motel 6 room?

If you go forward with this idea, I would strongly recommend you stay in the Bay area for a few days while you take the car on a few trips to get used to it before setting off across the country. I'm also pretty sure at least 2 roadster owners have driven coast-to-coast. You should consult their blogs for advice.

Hello fellow New Englanders. I made my reservation when the Prototype was at Boston, so my number is P-4229. I am retired Navy (submarines) and currently work at a 1300 MW power plant in NH. The 160 mile battery should suffice along with the three S's: sun, sound, and suspension. My wife and I can't decide on the interior yet, so hopefully, we can see those in person soon.

Hi from another VT Roadster owner. I am up in Jericho, just east of Burlington. We have Sig reservation #64, but I suspect when we get the call we will back down to a production model. I don't see enough "extra" in the Sig to justify the premium, particularly since living off a dirt road (and traveling them frequently in VT), the 21" wheels are impractical (and you won't get $ back for dropping back to 19 inch) and the option of white leather is of no interest (since my partner intends to take her small dog in the car everywhere she goes). I think we would do better with a fully loaded production model or fully loaded production performance with 19" aerodynamic wheels and the panoramic roof.

If someone needs a charge up this way, we have a Telsa HPC you are welcome to use!

Glad to see someone else is thinking along the same crazy lines. I was also thinking of getting a corporate sponsor with a big national footprint (McDonalds, Starbucks, Hilton, Best Western) that would team up with a charging station provider and light the way. Not very practical to have a cross country path at this point but I think it would be a brilliant PR move for one of those types of companies and the station providers would love it as well.