Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Englanders -- check in!

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    @rjsmith3rd: Hi! I spent a quiet morning one weekend plotting how to do that same trip. It's certainly possible, though there are challenging bits -- I was routing myself through Lake Tahoe, across Nevada to Salt Lake City, across to Denver, through Kansas, and then through Ohio and across to New England from the Buffalo area. RV parks are essential in getting across the west -- I also have a friend with a farm conveniently located mid-Kansas. Once you get east of Chicago, there are lots of options. I figured a little less than two weeks, allowing for a leisurely pace to enjoy scenic driving.

Your car is likely to be available mid-winter, which is problematic because many RV parks close in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by rjsmith3rd View Post
    I am contemplating picking the car up at the factory and driving it cross country home. Any of you electric veterns have any ideas/experience with that? I know it will take a while (I look forward to that) but not sure it is even possible. In New England and CA, seems like distance between charging locations is not a problem. But in the big wide open places in the middle, will I have to run an extension cord from my Motel 6 room?
    If you go forward with this idea, I would strongly recommend you stay in the Bay area for a few days while you take the car on a few trips to get used to it before setting off across the country. I'm also pretty sure at least 2 roadster owners have driven coast-to-coast. You should consult their blogs for advice.

Hello New Englanders. I live west of Boston and am addicted to hearing the latest Tesla gossip. I hope to buy a Tesla car someday. But for now, I'm an investor in TSLA. I work as an engineer.

Hello fellow New Englanders. I made my reservation when the Prototype was at Boston, so my number is P-4229. I am retired Navy (submarines) and currently work at a 1300 MW power plant in NH. The 160 mile battery should suffice along with the three S's: sun, sound, and suspension. My wife and I can't decide on the interior yet, so hopefully, we can see those in person soon.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hj-45 View Post
    ...currently work at a 1300 MW power plant in NH....
    ...as though there were a lot of those. Did you do nuclear in the Navy, too?

Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    ...as though there were a lot of those.
    Yes, pretty easy give away to someone in the energy markets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Did you do nuclear in the Navy, too?
    Also, yes....Reactor Operator. In the 80s, Rickover was my hero.....now it is Elon.

Roadster 1305
    Hi from another VT Roadster owner. I am up in Jericho, just east of Burlington. We have Sig reservation #64, but I suspect when we get the call we will back down to a production model. I don't see enough "extra" in the Sig to justify the premium, particularly since living off a dirt road (and traveling them frequently in VT), the 21" wheels are impractical (and you won't get $ back for dropping back to 19 inch) and the option of white leather is of no interest (since my partner intends to take her small dog in the car everywhere she goes). I think we would do better with a fully loaded production model or fully loaded production performance with 19" aerodynamic wheels and the panoramic roof.

If someone needs a charge up this way, we have a Telsa HPC you are welcome to use!

Yes, I planned the whole thing to be about 3 weeks so spending some local time to get used to the car is in the cards. Thanks for the advice on the blogs. I will seek them out and learn.

Glad to see someone else is thinking along the same crazy lines. I was also thinking of getting a corporate sponsor with a big national footprint (McDonalds, Starbucks, Hilton, Best Western) that would team up with a charging station provider and light the way. Not very practical to have a cross country path at this point but I think it would be a brilliant PR move for one of those types of companies and the station providers would love it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
    BTW I'm more than happy to show & tell my Roadster, take folks for a spin in it, etc ... and do the same thing for the Model S (which I should have pretty early on).
    Thanks for the meet-up at the Model S event in February...

BTW: I'm in Natick, MA - I think my reservation # is 2540.

/Ed

Thread Information