Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

that chrome strip under the doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously looking forward to seeing a Model S in the flesh, but based on photos there's a few design quirks that I'm unsure about. Perhaps others on this forum can offer their opinions :-

Firstly, whenever I see a photo of the Model S side on, my eye catches upon the strip of something that’s running along the underside of the doors, and seems to make the doors look like they are an inch too big compared to the rest of the sill area. The lines of the 2009 prototypes look much cleaner with the body and sills integrated

Can anyone who has seen a Model S in the flesh describe what it is - is it a polished steel strip ? or body coloured ? Will it carry over to the final spec cars ?

Secondly, I'm hoping the choice of interior materials will match the quality level you get with BMWs / Audis in the same price bracket. Whilst interior options are very much a personal choice I personally don’t like the look of the "banana leaf veneer" used on some of the dashboards of the beta cars - it reminds me of the veneer plastered all over some furniture and arcade games from the mid 70's. Does anyone else feel this way ?!

Anothersillpic.jpg

Sillthing.jpg

Firstly, whenever I see a photo of the Model S side on, my eye catches upon the strip of something that’s running along the underside of the doors, and seems to make the doors look like they are an inch too big compared to the rest of the sill area.
It's been mentioned a few times over the last year. I agree with you, it looks odd in pictures. I'm hoping it looks more natural close up.

Yes, the chrome strip has been discussed before but it is worth mentioning again that it is distracting and does make the doors seem bigger and mismatched. I wish this was different but am afraid this is just one of those details you have to live with- but I am much more concerned about the utility of the interior with no console or door pockets to put the usual stuff. For $100 k signature you don't expect to have to make too many compromises. Even worse, it's been hinted to me that I will have to commit on car and details without getting a chance to drive one - and that just seems wrong.

Unfortunately, it seems like the performance models will also have the silver strip. I think it'll look best on a dark car like the red or black:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331954128.355281.jpg

... it's been hinted to me that I will have to commit on car and details without getting a chance to drive one - and that just seems wrong.

You can probably use your one-time deferral to be a later Sig that might be late enough to have a test drive car available.

As for the trim strip, I'll go on record and say that the car has way too much chrome trim. Makes it look like a late 20th century car (say 1997). Not something produced in the second decade of the 21st century. But, tastes vary.

Sigh. .... This is a case of overzealous use of flashy accents that has the opposite and unintended consequence of detracting from the aesthetics of the car.

+1 to everything onlinespending said.

Note that the Model X on display has a light interior and has some kind of pocket in the door. So Tesla is listening, just not changing Model S.

As for the chrome, well, perhaps vinyl wrap to the rescue?

That is why they make sharpies! :tongue:.

I agree the chrome door strip looks odd on the white. I think it looks marginal on the silver. But all the dark colors I tend to like it.

Ya know, we actually probably could just cover it in matte black vinyl. How that would hold up remains to be seen, but it would likely solve the visual problem.

Black chrome would be nice!

Agreed, the wife and I really dislike the way it makes the doors look too long. Not near as bad as the Volt's front door, but still it just doesn't look right on light colors. Hope it looks better when it see it on a RC or production spec (whichever we'll need to make our decision on color) since it will keep us from getting White or Silver.