Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Spring! Where's the Design Studio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does not bother me too much, but this is another "over-promise and under-deliver" from Tesla. Even though this should not affect the timeline of the Model S, it reflects negatively on the company. This is not the first time they slipped without any feedback. There was an interview that was promised online last year that was posted about two months late. I would have rather seen "Coming Soon" than "Coming this Winter" if there was any chance of the date not being met.

Thanks

I'm anxious as well but when Tesla Motors finalizes the Design Studio I think it will go far an above what was initially expected. Patience grasshopper...lol:cool:

It's hard to remain patient when there's such little external evidence of progress, with all the kerfuffle over the perceived lack of changes to the interior, then the missing of this. This just seems to point to PR communications issues at TM. As we get closer to rollout, more info should be forthcoming (I hope)! Thanks, tdelta1000 - I do feel less agitated than I did earlier!
:biggrin:

They give us more access to the process than any car company on the face of this planet. You are upset that they aren't giving us weekly status on the state of the design center code? Let the poor people work. I don't want them wasting too many resources telling us what they are doing, just do it.

Yeah, maybe they slipped a bit. Welcome to the world of software development.

In this case, I'm not terribly concerned. It could very well be that some of the interior pieces simply aren't set yet, so they can't take pictures and put them in the design studio. I know they had one up for the live events, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the elements weren't final and they might be understandably reticent to put non-final items on the website. They may not have the packages figured out yet either exactly.

All of us here would take whatever we could get on the website, but Tesla probably wants to avoid showing non-final stuff to the world at large.

Or that could all be wrong, but I can think of a number of very reasonable things that would delay the website, but not have any real impact on production.

It's hard to remain patient when there's such little external evidence of progress, with all the kerfuffle over the perceived lack of changes to the interior, then the missing of this. This just seems to point to PR communications issues at TM. As we get closer to rollout, more info should be forthcoming (I hope)! Thanks, tdelta1000 - I do feel less agitated than I did earlier!
:biggrin:

I know the feeling... Two thumbs up...

I agree, just let them work. Maybe they are a little lagging behind on some of the "advertising" portions, but that's what makes them different than other car companies- I'd rather have them spend their resources on engineering and getting the plant pushing out cars. Look at the other car companies, just as an example, the Ford Energi for example, doesn't have a "design studio" heck, it doesn't EVEN have a price set yet and that's slated to be released Q4, At least Tesla has a pricing scale

Yeah, maybe they slipped a bit. Welcome to the world of software development.

No kidding. There are common problems like "walking pointers", "edge races", and sometimes "memory/resource leaks" that can be very frustrating to track down. Quite often the fix is trivially simple; the big problem is one of finding the bug, especially when it occurs at random and does random things.

It once took me two months to track down a one-instruction interrupt problem in an aircraft navigation system. It would randomly crash the system every few days!!! Incredibly hard to find.

That's just the nature of software - you really can't predict how long it will take to debug something.

No kidding. There are common problems like "walking pointers", "edge races", and sometimes "memory/resource leaks" that can be very frustrating to track down. Quite often the fix is trivially simple; the big problem is one of finding the bug, especially when it occurs at random and does random things.

It once took me two months to track down a one-instruction interrupt problem in an aircraft navigation system. It would randomly crash the system every few days!!! Incredibly hard to find.

That's just the nature of software - you really can't predict how long it will take to debug something.

It's almost always a simple thing when you find it. "Stupid bug." Agree that the trick is finding it.

I am sure that they are working very hard on it, and they the end product will blow us away when it is released. The delay over the promised "winter" release date is not good, however, as Tesla has to prove that it can deliver products when they say they will. I am sure there are countless people who would like to buy a Model S, but don't enough faith in Tesla as a company to put down a deposit. Continually meeting milestone helps to build the faith, and will result in more sales, but sometimes all it take is one missed milestone, even on something like the design studio that does not directly relate to the end product, to keep people who are on the fence about Tesla from making the jump.

Let's just hope they can get the bugs worked out soon, I know the end result will be worth the wait.

As a sig reservation holder I'm hopeful this is a very short delay that isn't a sign of greater issues.

As a stock holder, I'm very concerned that they have missed a self imposed deadline. I'm even more concerned that they were not proactive in explaining this delay. ...on the brighter side it might create another buying opportunity.

Has anyone gotten a date for the finished Design Studio? I think that they need to change the text on the unfinished buttons to "Whatever...":smile:

At the latest Santana Row Model X and Signature Model S event they showed the updated Design Studio.
418379_10150605433915848_705035847_9356905_1703097968_n.jpg

They said they only had to make a few tweaks to the code to put it live on the web.

Here are some more images from the event: https://plus.google.com/photos/117433471618932049710/albums/5720804451347353185

One thing to note - as you can see in the pics from the event - is that the Design Studio at Santana Row (and seemingly at Bellevue, WA too as per one other post) had configurable options for (only) Paint, Roof, Wheels and Interior (which was really the only new part).

It still didn't have Packages and Options as the current design studio on the website promises to offer at some point; maybe, that's what's holding them up?!

currentdesignstudio.png

I am so glad my work deadlines are not published to the general public. Granted I am generally on time but I don't know if I could take this scrutiny.

Hey, in all fairness, Tesla chose to post "this winter" -- they could have left it as "coming soon" (though, at this point, we're almost 6 months out from when that was posted). They've no one to blame but themselves on that one -- under promise, over deliver.