Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S custom colour mock-ups ..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am unsure what Tesla's policy will be on potential customers requesting custom paint colours, or perhaps asking to use some of the stunning metallic and chromatic paint effects that are now available.

When I ordered my Roadster the company said it would be no problem to use any Dupont colour code, although there would have to be an extra charge to do this. I paid the charge and got a spectacular blue/purple metallic colour as a result. One so potent I keep on looking at it and taking photos of it !

Given the style of the Model S, I suspect they don’t want anyone driving a Model S signature around in a 'Very Orange' or Toxic Green Model S just yet, but inevitably people will want custom colours schemes at some point.

Below I have used an existing render previously posted on TMC and played around with the colours, contrast, saturation etc. It is not my intention to ruffle any feathers at Tesla, but there are many other people besides myself already beginning to imagine 'what if ..' colour scenarios and whenever I buy a new car I will often spend ages trying out various virtual images.

Blackstealth1.jpg

silver3brightwheels.jpg

silver2.jpg

silver2brightwheels.jpg

silver1.jpg

bluedark6.jpg

blue5.jpg

blue5brightwheels.jpg

blue4.jpg

purple2.jpg

blue4brightwheels.jpg

red7brightwheels.jpg

red6.jpg

red4brightwheels.jpg

green2.jpg

green3.jpg

green2.jpg

green2brightwheels.jpg

green1.jpg

green1brightwheels.jpg

chocBrownbrightwheels.jpg

chocBrown.jpg

brown1.jpg

blaze3.jpg

blaze2.jpg

blaze1.jpg

Let's see a good photo of your Roadster!

My understanding is they aren't offering custom paint on the S. I expect this is so they can focus on volume. As you know, the Roadster was a job-shop built car, while the S is assembly line. They have the paint equipment (which I saw on the factory tour and is quite impressive I must say) setup for volume and it's probably quite a pain to switch colors, especially for just one car.

I do love your mockups and wish I had more options for the signature S, even for a cost.

Maybe it's something they'll get to at some point once things are up and running without problems for a year or two. Would love a color like your Roadster or the ruby red custom Roadster for Toyota's CEO.

Awesome. Can you add some spinner hubcaps and fuzzy dice to the screenshots for the full effect? (ducks)

JK... some of the screenshots looked cool, others were a bit over the top for me, and I'm slightly color blind.

Don't imagine it would be a huge deal to buy the regular white model and take it to a reputable paint shop, no?

How does one get access to the Dupont color listings?

Not sure what happens in the USA, but in Europe the stock Tesla colour swatches have details on the reverse which include Tesla's chosen name for the colour, their own colour reference, and the exact Dupont colour reference.

Generally speaking, all car manufacturers seem to name their colours with fancy words even though they are often identical to specific colours used by other makers. Tesla colour names and colour reference numbers can be directly correlated to the range Lotus offer just by the Dupont Code (although the exact colour mix often changes slightly year on year, which is why model year is sometimes important).

Once the Dupont code is known a paintshop can look up the exact colour mix, and finishing details, in order to repair cars etc.

Here's some direct Tesla colour name and code examples :-

Stockcolourswatches.jpg

StockcolournamesandDupontcodes.jpg

TeslaX5136ThunderGrey2010example.jpg

How about the spray chrome plating? I had it done on some of my Harley parts and it works

I saw this chromed Mercedes SL600 in Sarasota last year:

2609373.jpg

It will be auctioned off for charity in April. From the local paper:

Mansfield, 62, would not give a full estimate of the car's value so as not to help set its price at the Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach Collector Car Auction.

But as a clue, the flashy chrome finish on the car cost $200,000 alone.

The three-day auction begins April 5 at the South Florida Fairgrounds, at 9067 Southern Boulevards in West Palm Beach.

Last edited: