Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint free home chargers - not for Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is old news, but I haven't seen it here. In some locations Chargepoint is offering free chargers, including installation, for people who purchase one of these cars:
  • Chevy Volt
  • Fisker Karma
  • BMW activeE
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Smart Electric
  • Ford Focus Electric
  • Ford Transit Connect
LINK HERE

Electric-Car Buyers: Free Home Charging Stations Offered By ChargePoint

Although the charger is free, installation isn't. So since the charger has a capacity of only 30 amp, it seems to me that even if it was offered to Tesla owners, it would make more sense for them to install a high capacity 240 volt outlet. It might be cheaper to install and certainly would charge faster if needed.

Larry

Done! You're welcome!

i-love-mods-t-shirt.png

I had asked Blink Network for one last year. Their response: "The Tesla Roadster doesn't qualify for the EVSE." Which made me a little (lot) upset as they are offering them for a PHEV. I stopped short of screaming at someone over the phone.

Last edited:
But Tesla has a J1772 adaptor, among others, so it can use just about any kind of power receptacle there is. So I guess the point is that they don't want any cars that could potentially use someone else's power. Kind of short sighted though.

They are offering the free chargers to get people to use Chargepoint away from home where they charge them a dollar an hour right?
( most of the Chargepoints that I have seen are a dollar an hour )

Capturing Roadster owners doesn't make sense for the following reasons:
1. Roadsters are not going to bother charging at their pathetic 30 amp EVSEs when they can avoid it.
2. Roadsters have 240 mile range and don't need them. If you are on a long road trip and need charging - 30 amps is a waste of your time.
3. If a Roadster does charge at a 7.2kw ( 30 amp ) EVSE it will draw the full 7.2kw reducing their profit margin.

Last edited: