Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
I'd like to start a discussion of proposed Tesla Supercharger locations for Florida that perhaps Tesla will consider in planning their network.

Here's my idea I'd be interested in hearing what other's thoughts are on the subject.

Alligator Alley is a long stretch of I-75 of more than 80miles with only one gas station along the way. It is the only high speed arterial connecting the East and West coasts of Florida in the South.

That solitary gas station is located at exit 49 and I believe it is a perfect location for a Tesla Supercharger. In addition to the gas station, there are separate restrooms, parking and shaded picnic area. Three phase power is available next to the restrooms. The property belongs to the Miccosukee Indian Reservation.

Perhaps the Miccosukee Indians would be amenable to Tesla installing one of their Superchargers adjacent to parking spots near their pad-mounted transformer.

Larry

Attachments

• Exit 49 restrooms.jpg
    Exit 49 restrooms.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,194
  • Exit 49 picnic area.jpg
    Exit 49 picnic area.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 2,314
  • Exit 49 three phase padmtd xfmer.jpg
    Exit 49 three phase padmtd xfmer.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,172
How about one on the east coast, and one on the west coast? They don't seem to be that far apart (~100 miles), and then you could use each also for other routes.

That's a much better solution. I've done that drive many times, and I always make sure that I've got plenty of gas to make it across Alligator Alley. Anyone driving there should know that they need to have enough charge to get across the state and top off accordingly on either end of the Alley.

Fun fact: Phish had a 2 day concert extraveganza at the Big Cypress National Preserve around the millenial New Year (2000). I had a friend who went -- it took him almost the whole day to get out of there and drive back to my house (about 50 miles). Would've been awesome to have had a Model S (and the touchscreen) for that traffic jam!

Looks a bit desolate, but if it's the only place for miles...

Snake Rd Interstate 75, Big Cypress National Preserve, Broward, Florida - Google Maps

After stretching my legs, I'd probably sit in the car and play with the touchscreen.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the link.

Yes, everything is desolate on Alligator Alley. There are no restaurants or hotels, just rest stops and this solitary gas station. You absolutely don't want to run out of gas or charge on that highway!

By the way, thanks very much for setting up local groups.

Larry

Agree with Larry that Alligator Alley needs something, but Norbert is right.....

Tesla is at the Miami end (or will be when the new store opens) as are other charging stations. At the Naples end I would go for exit 101 where all the eating places are. Alternatively go more downtown Naples (Old Naples is only about 6 miles away).

Personally, if I'm going to wait around while the car charges I'd rather do that waiting where I can do something; in SWFL there's a couple of good examples: Main Street in Lakewood Ranch (3 miles to I-75) or Palm Ave in Sarasota (7 miles from the I-75, but 1/2 block from downtown) with easy access by foot to restaurants and stores and even libraries or cinema's.

For superchargers in Florida, I think the two main interstates (I-75 and I-95) and the Florida Turnpike, should be the main point of focus. I-95 would probably be the first priority because people driving from the northeast (Boston/NY/Philly/DC etc.) would need this, and you'd be going through a series of cities from Jacksonville down to Miami. I-4, which crosses the state east/west would be the other highway that should eventually get superchargers, but those three should definitely be the first priority.

For superchargers in Florida, I think the two main interstates (I-75 and I-95) and the Florida Turnpike, should be the main point of focus. I-95 would probably be the first priority because people driving from the northeast (Boston/NY/Philly/DC etc.) would need this, and you'd be going through a series of cities from Jacksonville down to Miami. I-4, which crosses the state east/west would be the other highway that should eventually get superchargers, but those three should definitely be the first priority.

Hi Arnold,

Yes, that makes sense.

Larry

I expect all Telsa stores will have supercharging capabilities.

Coming off Alligator Alley from the west, I'd suggest Sawgrass Mills mall. It's only a couple of miles from the end of the Alley, and people can spend all day shopping there. In fact, Sawgrass is the 2nd most visited tourist attraction in Florida after Disney World. For someone low on battery, those 20 miles or so can make a big difference and avoid range anxiety.

Similarly, I'd like to see a charger at that outlet mall right off I-75 on the Naples side.

Coming off Alligator Alley from the west, I'd suggest Sawgrass Mills mall. It's only a couple of miles from the end of the Alley, and people can spend all day shopping there. In fact, Sawgrass is the 2nd most visited tourist attraction in Florida after Disney World. For someone low on battery, those 20 miles or so can make a big difference and avoid range anxiety.

Hi Arnold,

Excellent information.

Similarly, I'd like to see a charger at that outlet mall right off I-75 on the Naples side.

Do you mean this one?

Naples Outlet Center

Larry

You guys read my mind. I agree with Arnold and Larry. Supercharger locations east and west of Alligator Alley. Naples, near the highway is great, and you're right, Tesla will have supercharger locations at all their stores. We just need to make sure that the superchargers are accessible when the store is closed, right?

sawgrass would be a logical location for a supercharger. But I'd also like to see decent chargers at places like national parks and wildlife refuges - ideal places where the car will be idle for a period of time and where there is a pleasant couple of hours of diversion - places like the tip of the Everglades at Flamingo or Loxahatchee (Arthur Marshall NWF) which is near Delray Beach. anyone with ideas on how to influence national parks and other reserved locations?

Larry, that's a good start for Tesla's supercharging network but I think there could be three stations on the Alligator Alley. Here are my considerations: The first stop after the toll plaza on the East entrance of the Alley, the second station would be the stop Larry is talking about and my last consideration would be the last stop prior to the western Toll plaza exit of the Alley.