Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggested Tesla Supercharger locations in Florida

Ok going to make some people mad here but ... don't put superchargers where people will park for hours. Perhaps a couple restaurants but not malls, national parks, theme parks. You want regular 10kW or 20kW chargers at the places you park at for 2-3 hours or more. You want superchargers where you only park for 30-45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    don't put superchargers where people will park for hours. Perhaps a couple restaurants but not malls, national parks, theme parks. You want regular 10kW or 20kW chargers at the places you park at for 2-3 hours or more. You want superchargers where you only park for 30-45 minutes.
    Agreed... anything else is just silly!
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Ok going to make some people mad here but ... don't put superchargers where people will park for hours. Perhaps a couple restaurants but not malls, national parks, theme parks. You want regular 10kW or 20kW chargers at the places you park at for 2-3 hours or more. You want superchargers where you only park for 30-45 minutes.
    This is generally true, and along interstates like I-95, for example, I'd expect the superchargers to be at the regular rest stations where you can grab a bite to eat and go to the bathroom while the car charges and be on your way. Alligator Alley is a unique problem because the road is totally remote and desolate -- it goes straight through the Everglades and is fenced on both sides to avoid the alligators (and other wildlife) from coming onto the road. There are no traditional rest stops like you'd see on a normal interstate highway, and I would fully expect that people coming from either direction will want to top off their battery before heading onto the Alley, so the question becomes where to put the superchargers near the entrances to the Alley that wouldn't leave someone twiddling their thumbs for 30-45 minutes.

I grew up in Tampa. Believe me I know about Alligator Alley. That is spooky to drive across with a full tank of gas. I did it once at about 2AM and would never do that again. I would highly recommend Superchargers very close to both sides.

But putting super chargers at malls is just going to get them clogged up. If you put them at malls you will have to hire valets to shuffle cars around and charge them properly, I would be so pissed if I was trying to cross the state and someone who was shopping for 3 hours had the Supercharge all tied up. Superchargers I believe should operate like gas pumps, you need to sort of sit and wait on them. You can get regular 240VAC 70A chargers where you park for 2-3 hours. I would recommend an Ice Cream store with super charger on both sides. Having a cool treat for a half hour would be great for 9-10 months out of the year.

Model S Perf Sig 1232 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    Actually, I was thinking about this one:

http://www.miromaroutlets.com/

Right off of I-75 and only a few miles from the Alley. But I think all malls should have superchargers, so no need to choose between them!
    Hi Arnold,

I like stopping there, but its in Estero, 25 miles from Naples.

Larry

Superchargers I believe should operate like gas pumps, you need to sort of sit and wait on them.
    Agree with much of what you say, but not this part. I'd like to do something other than waiting or having just one choice like eating burgers. 30 - 60 min will be perceived as losing too much time unless one can do something useful during this time. If there are useful things to do, one loses less time than at a gas station. I think parking lots close to streets with lots of restaurants, coffee shops, other shops are ideal. In some cases it could be malls as well, if they are nice places to stay even if you don't want to buy something. But I agree that a movie theatre wouldn't be the best choice (unless maybe we some day we'll have them almost everywhere).
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

Another idea for the Florida Tesla Super charging network is placing units at every Florida Turnpike Service Plaza.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tdelta1000 View Post
    Another idea for the Florida Tesla Super charging network is placing units at every Florida Turnpike Service Plaza.
    A good point, and someone recently had the sense to try the idea: EV Charging Coming To Pennsylvania Pike

Quote Originally Posted by tdelta1000 View Post
    +1...

Florida's Turnpike - The Less Stressway | Traveler Information | Service Plazas

The service plazas on Florida's Turnpike are open 24-hours a day and typically offer a variety of fast food dining options, gift shops, ATMs, Florida Lottery, public telephones, 24-hour news broadcasts, travel information, picnic areas, dog walks, and other amenities. Both men's and women's restrooms have changing tables and each plaza also has a family-style restroom.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

Thread Information