Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Austin has a very big Tesla family and I had a great time at the Roadster Rally last year. Would be great to do something like that again. Since San Antonio so close could do a combined event too. There are four Roadsters there now I believe.

Who is the TESLA dealer in Austin...One of my Dr. buds said it was Roger Beasley (sp) Porsche.....Is that true?
Wondering b/c I want to know if there will be a SuperCharger in AUSTIN when I go there on conferences with my Performance S. .. Someday......

Tesla doesn't technically have any dealerships. They call the stores similar to what Apple has done.
Tesla doesn't currently have a store in Austin, just Houston.

Tesla said they would announce their Supercharger plans in June so hopefully Texas will be taken care of.

I asked GeorgeB about this on Sunday...even though Elon promised a Supercharger announcement in July, George was thinking it may well not happen that soon.

And that's just for an announcement. Putting these things in takes a lot of time and money; I doubt there will be many installed by the announcement. (I can live with not many being installed yet; but not making an announcement until long after they are asking people to commit $100k to the car is incredibly frustrating).

mfarendt - Sticker Stop on 620 near Cedar Park does a great job, and is really fast. They were able to find the lack of an emissions test for a Tesla Roadster in their computer and issue the two stickers. They didn't even charge me for the Emissions test, so I've got that $14 annually defraying the cost of the car. :)

mfarendt - Sticker Stop on 620 near Cedar Park does a great job, and is really fast. They were able to find the lack of an emissions test for a Tesla Roadster in their computer and issue the two stickers. They didn't even charge me for the Emissions test, so I've got that $14 annually defraying the cost of the car. :)

garry753 - Thanks for the information.... Now if I only had the Roadster to inspect, I'd be all ready to go!

mfarendt - Any inspection station can do it. I had one of the first Roadsters in Austin, and when I showed up in 2009 at Terry's Inspection on Burnet Road, everybody gawked for a while. But my VIN showed up just fine in the Texas vehicle database, and it told them to do only a safety inspection. No problem.

Question for those that own Roadsters in the Austin area or climates similar to - Have you experienced any reliability issues with charging and battery capacity due to the high heat and humidity? I'm still "sitting on the fence" as to whether I should pursue a Roadster and want to make sure I'm making a good decision.

Question for those that own Roadsters in the Austin area or climates similar to - Have you experienced any reliability issues with charging and battery capacity due to the high heat and humidity? I'm still "sitting on the fence" as to whether I should pursue a Roadster and want to make sure I'm making a good decision.

I've had no issues with charging. You may have problems with the AC briefly cutting out in high heat when the car prioritizes the battery over the cabin. Doesn't happen often in the 2.5s at least.

The Model S should have no problem with this.

Is it really a problem to have the cabin AC be alittle less efficient? Just drop the top and punch the accelerator? :)

Not less efficient, no A/C. The cabin fan will still run, but the coolant is diverted to cooling the battery. (happens to me all the time, especially in this heat.) This only happens for about 2-3 min, but it is quite noticeable on a hot day. The Model S doesn't do this as the battery, motor, and PEM are on different cooling loops from the cabin.