Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Siri for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Engle tried it in one of his videos, but it was disabled. At least that shows that they're planning on it I guess.

Yeah, from what I understand they certainly will have voice command support (there's even a voice command button on the steering wheel). Plus didn't the earlier Model S events show Elon saying "Play Rolling Stones" or something like that?

But I was curious if anyone knows just how much support would be available. For instance, could I say "open pano roof to 50%"? It certainly would be cool if you could mimic pretty much any action that would normally require touchscreen input with a voice command.

EDIT: Here's Elon using some voice commands, about 2:30 into this video. He makes it sound as if they're using Google's voice recognition API

But I was curious if anyone knows just how much support would be available. For instance, could I say "open pano roof to 50%"? It certainly would be cool if you could mimic pretty much any action that would normally require touchscreen input with a voice command.

I asked that question to a rep at the open house this past weekend and she wasn't sure if you could control the sunroof with voice command. She did confirm you can control the radio with voice commands, but with car functions (e.g. opening sunroof, unlocking doors, opening frunk, changing A/C settings...) she wasn't sure.

If voice command would work on basic car functions, it sure would allay a lot of concerns from the people who are apprehensive of using the touchscreen to control everything.

The impression I got from the multitude of videos and demos that I have seen is that many of the basic touchscreen functions like audio and phone will be voice activated as well. In addition, the steering wheel controls can do quite a bit.

Now, onto Siri. Siri works by taking your "voice command" or request, transmitting it to Apple, processing it, then sending back a response. No internet connection and Siri is useless. Slow internet connection and Siri is tediously slow, so you will abandon your efforts often and revert to manual control, thus making Siri a worthless endeavor. To get Siri ported to the Model S, it would require quite a bit of software support to allow for control within the car...meaning software integration from multiple sources (Tesla, Apple). Siri is proprietary, so no real way around that. Apple controls this on the iPhone by providing isolation of it's "subsystems" via API's. As Siri evolves, SDK's will allow developers to access the Siri API, which will then be allowed to access other API's such as audio and video, or access apps. I don't know if we really want Siri in the Model S. Access to Siri via the bluetooth to allow control of the iPhone is another deal entirely, however, and I am hopeful that we can do that. My GMC allows this and makes dialing or listening to emails or text messages very simple while driving.