Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'No Regen' Pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
What do people think about this idea. A third pedal to the left of the brake pedal. When you push it in you get zero regen/propulsion. It would give your left foot something to do. :wink:

VW_GTI_MK5_Pedals.jpg

For someone who desperately wants to hold onto my clutch pedal, this would be a good half step. Heck I would be able to handle creep if this happened. Maybe for the Model R!!

What do people think about this idea. A third pedal to the left of the brake pedal. When you push it in you get zero regen/propulsion. It would give your left foot something to do. :wink:

Simplicity rules

The way Tesla's are right now is more simple for the driver and from a engineering stand point.

I don't think they should EVER change it.

BTW, The third pedal looking thing is a foot fest.

Simplicity rules

The way Tesla's are right now is more simple for the driver and from a engineering stand point.

I don't think they should EVER change it.

I don't know from someone who has always driven a clutch I think having an 'electronic' clutch pedal would be simpler to adapt to.

I highly doubt it would happen but it would be an easy way to regulate smooth stopping that people have been wanting.

And I am pretty sure this will never happen. I just think it would be cool.

And well it will stop the 'phantom clutch' emergency stops that I will preform in the Model S before I get used to not having a clutch.

I think it's a brilliant way of turning regen off for hypermiling/coasting. That said I had no problem adjusting to an automatic after several years of driving manuals (although I still like shifting gears fairly often).

I don't know from someone who has always driven a clutch I think having an 'electronic' clutch pedal would be simpler to adapt to.

I highly doubt it would happen but it would be an easy way to regulate smooth stopping that people have been wanting.

And I am pretty sure this will never happen. I just think it would be cool.

And well it will stop the 'phantom clutch' emergency stops that I will preform in the Model S before I get used to not having a clutch.

I remember a toggle button that controlled the high beams on our old ford van. It was located on the floor at the far left. I think if they offered this function I'd rather have it here than on the column.

My last car before the Roadster was a manual C6 Corvette. I don't miss the clutch pedal AT ALL. You quickly become adept at coasting with the accelerator. I never once stomped on the floor looking for the clutch or tried to grab my SO's knee looking for a shifter. The way the car drives is so much better that you'll wonder why you ever thought gears were cool.

I don't care where they put the control - but I definitely prefer the Leaf's "coast when you let off the accelerator/regen when you lightly brake" approach to the one-pedal control on the Roadster. I'd love to be able to switch that on.

I've never seen a good brake pedal that did regen and friction braking well. I have a Volt and the braking is acceptable but not great. I can't drive in a sporty manner which is one reason I am looking forward to the Model S. Sometimes the transition between regen and friction is not smooth. I've found that sometimes it lurches and if I was in a critical maneuver I can see the braking could throw the car off balance.

I've found that sometimes it lurches and if I was in a critical maneuver I can see the braking could throw the car off balance.

In the Prius the regen shuts off whenever any of the safety features activate (traction control, vehicle stability control, brake assist, brake override). In 130,000+ miles I've not had a problem with the car being off-balance in an emergency situation. Sometimes you can feel the transition from regen to non-regen in normal driving--but it's very rare. Almost always I have to anticipate it to feel it.

The Tesla should be much smoother because there is no gas motor added to the mix.

I don't care where they put the control - but I definitely prefer the Leaf's "coast when you let off the accelerator/regen when you lightly brake" approach to the one-pedal control on the Roadster. I'd love to be able to switch that on.

Huh? My Leaf does 15-20kW of regen when I let off the accelerator. 30kW when I lightly brake. I wish I could get all the regen on the accelerator
instead. And I have no problem coasting in the Leaf, I easily find the correct position on the pedal to just coast.

The regen in "low" gear on the Volt is darn near perfect for one foot driving. Not overly aggressive but good for daily driving. Only for the last bit of stopping do I use the brake pedal or if traffic stops too fast. It took me about a year of using it off and one before I settled on using it all the time. I'm an old dog in 30's and it takes some time to teach me new tricks. ;)

So, if Tesla has no regen on the brake pedal I'll be very happy.

Nope I'm wrong. Even in regular mode there is some regen on the Leaf when you let off the accelerator. The amount depends on speed. It feels like an ICE car in a high gear rather than like the brake is being pressed.

I'll reserve judgement on the S until I drive it. If it is like the Leaf where you can let off the accelerator without feeling like the brake is on, then I'll be happy.