Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Center Console

Do you need some organization in the center console?

• Yes, give me some way to keep my stuff organized.

Votes: 105 62.5%
  • No, I like the open console.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I don't care much either way.

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Product Manager Ted Merendino said that the open center console will be sort of a Tesla signature. While that's kind of interesting, GeorgeB said that there will be some accessory option down the line.

Having checked in both our existing cars, here's a short summary of some of the "stuff" that needs a home in our cars:

• Wallet
  • Sunglasses
  • House Keys
  • Change
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Phone
  • Pen
  • Mints
  • Dry Cleaning Tickets
  • Tissues

So, let's tell Tesla whether we need an open console or not. Guess what my vote is! :wink:

Product Manager Ted Merendino said that the open center console will be sort of a Tesla signature. While that's kind of interesting, GeorgeB said that there will be some accessory option down the line.

Having checked in both our existing cars, here's a short summary of some of the "stuff" that needs a home in our cars:

• Wallet
  • Sunglasses
  • House Keys
  • Change
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Phone
  • Pen
  • Mints
  • Dry Cleaning Tickets
  • Tissues

So, let's tell Tesla whether we need an open console or not. Guess what my vote is! :wink:

With the performance version that accesory option will be neccsary to not have all that above stuff fly to the back seat :eek:

Just give me an modular iPhone dock when I can hop in and plug the iPhone in to charge and play music and I'll be happy. It should support other phones too by buying different docks that slide in place from Tesla or other companies.

I think most folks would agree with your list and probably have more items that need a place to be stored. I prefer to store my "stuff" out of sight but readily accessible. I have a front wheel drive car (Lexus 350RX) that has both an open center console for the large purse and an enclosed console within the center to accommodate not only the cup holders but also all the "stuff" in an enclosed storage bin. Both concepts (open center console/enclosed storage space) can be implemented without compromise to either.

Tesla will play the Apple playbook until the end... They are keeping some cool details til the end.

The center console will probably be spectacular, I'm not expecting anything less from Tesla ;)

Umm..that would go against everything they've said up until now. Even this weekend they've claimed that the look of the interior is virtually finalized. So don't get your hopes up. Though given the early results of this poll, Tesla would be silly to ignore them and not try and do something before production.

[*]Wallet
[*]Sunglasses
[*]House Keys
[*]Change
[*]Hand Sanitizer
[*]Phone
[*]Pen
[*]Mints
[*]Dry Cleaning Tickets
[*]Tissues
[*]...

I carry all those things too, but I already have them in a handy container called a purse! And now I'll actually have a place to put it! We're very underrepresented on this forum, but I've got to speak up for the purse-carrying gender.

[*]Wallet
[*]Sunglasses
[*]House Keys
[*]Change
[*]Hand Sanitizer
[*]Phone
[*]Pen
[*]Mints
[*]Dry Cleaning Tickets
[*]Tissues
[*]...

I carry all those things too, but I already have them in a handy container called a purse! And now I'll actually have a place to put it! We're very underrepresented on this forum, but I've got to speak up for the purse-carrying gender.

Yep. I voted 'don't much care'. What I DO care about is the performance. This carfuffle over the open console is confusing me.

I don't have the hand sanitizer, but pretty much think I have everything else plus a logbook for business expense, a power cord for my phone, and a temp holding place for trash (back of door pocket). This issue is really irking me to no end. George B's hints notwithstanding, I want to know what they have or what they are planning. It really is a practical issue and it is a choice for form over function which makes the designers happy and the average buyer scratching his head and then bitching after he buys the car and realizes that there's a significant flaw in really using the car the way that most do.

First let me say that I love the idea of going electric - its good for the country in terms of economics and national security, its good for the environment, its a fun drive if its anything like the Roadster, and someone has to start the ball rolling. I'm in a fortunate position in that I can afford an expensive car - I can even afford to do something totally uneconomic - but where I live, my Signature will cost approximately $105,000 - or 98k net of tax credit. I could save a few thousand by getting essentially the same configuration under general production, but it's still, for all practical purposes, a $100k vehicle. For that price - which certainly takes on anything BMW or Merc can offer (except 7 series or s class), I don't expect much in the way of compromises, but it sure looks like there are a bunch for the early reservation holders - not to mention the lack of communication with reservation holders (especially early ones). I don't think I've been contacted or asked my opinion about anything by Tesla unless I made it a point to contact them to voice a concern, which I've done regarding the premium price for early sig reservers (still today with no apparent benefit for being early with a 40k deposit), the console issue, and the recent statement that test drives may not be available until after you must commit to a contract. What really bothers me is that I have backed off discussing the benefits of electric and the company with well-heeled friends as who wants to tout "as good as a BMW high end" if it's not? We all love the exterior, but its the interior that's pulling the negative vibe to the forefront.

I'm truly rooting for Tesla to succeed, and if it takes a little more time to make things right I can be patient. But I can't emphasize enough how damaging it will be to the company if it falls short on its "no compromise" ethos in offering a high priced alternative to ICE luxury vehicles that doesn't deliver a similar feeling in the interior.

• Wallet
  • Sunglasses
  • House Keys
  • Change
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Phone
  • Pen
  • Mints
  • Dry Cleaning Tickets
  • Tissues

Hmm. My take:

Wallet - in my jacket pocket. Might need a place to put it in summer. Will probably end up in cup holder.
Sunglasses - glove box
House keys - in pocket
Change - not needed in car. What would I use it for ?
Hand sanitizer - glove box
Phone - Yep. Need a place to put it. Will probably end up in cup holder along with wallet.
Pen - glove box
Mints - nope.
Dry cleaning tickets - nope.
Tissues - glove box

I do need an additional item, a reflective vest (mandatory here). Will end up in glove box.

What I would really like is a mini fridge for water&coke bottles. I would actually want it to be heated in winter so the water would never freeze but always be cold. Space for 4-6 0.5l bottles would be nice. I'd then fill up with cheap bottles from the super market, rather than paying for expensive bottles at gas stations.

[*]Wallet
[*]Sunglasses
[*]House Keys
[*]Change
[*]Hand Sanitizer
[*]Phone
[*]Pen
[*]Mints
[*]Dry Cleaning Tickets
[*]Tissues
[*]...

So Tesla just needs provide a purse to anyone without that buys a Model S :frown:

The interior design sessions by the Tesla team must have been very interesting given how they have approached the interior and seemingly depriortizied so many normal user scenarios and tasks. Seems like there would have been so many other ways to approach the center console, however this is it for now, negative space.

Is there any indication that the bottom of the empty console area has a data or power connection to the car? That way any accessory with a phone adapter could power the phone.

This.
If there is power then there could be an insert with a cup warmer or refrigerator, plug an charge multiple passenger phones, worklight, laptop or other things to do if running a business out of a car (not distract from driving)

Yep. I voted 'don't much care'. What I DO care about is the performance. This carfuffle over the open console is confusing me.

Well, a car is more than performance. At this price point, the total package matters. And the interior is a big part of that. It's clear by this poll that an overwhelming majority of people are not entirely pleased by the uninspiring use of all that free space between the front seats. They could have done so much more but essentially put two rails down the middle and called it a day. For those that like an open space, they could have compartmentalized the section closest to the center arm-rests and kept the portion directly under the dash open. There's a lot to love about the Model S, but this I'm afraid is not one of them.

I agree with Bonnie. The more I think about it the better I like the open console. If you want a closed storage, get a tasteful padded box. For open storage, drawer organizers could be used to keep things from scooting around. No one solution is really right for everyone and this allows customization. It will be very nice for my wife to have a place for her purse besides in her lap or under foot. Aside from storage issues, the open feel is really nice. Many new car center stacks are becoming gigantic in both height and width. They feel claustrophobic and isolate the front passengers. It is interesting that although we are willing to adopt an innovative drive train, many of us are loath to try something new in other ways.