Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First big piece of 'Electric Highway' gets juice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stretch of 160 miles of Interstate 5 served by eight stations marks the next big step in developing an infrastructure that until now has been limited primarily to chargers in homes and workplaces.

The stations go from the California border north to the Oregon city of Cottage Grove and are located at gas stations, restaurants and motels just off the nation's second-busiest interstate. One is at an inn that was once a stage coach stop.

Spaced about every 25 miles, the stations allow a Nissan Leaf with a range of about 70 miles to miss one and still make it to the next. Electric car drivers will be able to recharge in about 20 minutes on the fast-chargers. The charge is free for now.

"I would say range-anxiety with these fast chargers will be nearly a non-issue for me," said Justin Denley, who owns a Nissan Leaf and joined the caravan.

News from The Associated Press

This is a good step in the right direction. If only they could have a fast charging station on the way to Vegas.

Yes, I agree it's great news! Do you know if the Model S will be able to utilize these fast charge stations?

They are all CHAdeMO. So far, Tesla has not demonstrated CHAdeMO compatability. They have their own "Supercharger" network being planned.
Time will tell if a CHAdeMO/TeslaSuperCharger adapter is created or not.