Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range versus air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if this is posted already. I was wondering how(if) the range of the model S would be affected when using the air suspension. Is the 480 km (300 miles) with our without the adjustable suspension ? Could it go further with or less without the suspension ?

I am not sure if this is posted already. I was wondering how(if) the range of the model S would be affected when using the air suspension. Is the 480 km (300 miles) with our without the adjustable suspension ? Could it go further with or less without the suspension ?
The air suspension should act to increase range by decreasing aero drag at high speeds by sitting closer to the road in the "Low" setting. We don't know what the size of this effect will be, nor do we even know if the stated ranges assume air suspension and, hence, having the standard suspension will result in a mileage penalty.

Walter Franck of Tesla answered that a few months ago:
Dynamics on how the active air suspense will handle when corning is to be announced, but I can expand upon the height levels. Manual Adjustments are as follows:

• Normal height = 6”
  • High Level 1 = 0.90” taller; When the vehicle accelerates above 19 mph, the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
  • High level 2 = 1.3” above Standard and can be used for ascending a steep driveway or fording deep snow. Clearance reverts to High Level 1 above 10 mph.
  • Low Level = 0.79” under Standard; Active Air Suspension will automatically lower the vehicle for highway driving to improve aerodynamics. Low Level is also accessible from the touchscreen for loading/unloading of passengers. When the vehicle begins driving the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
  • The suspension will also self-level the car. For example if you load a lot of weight in the trunk the vehicle will remain level.
See all responses over HERE.

Anyone know if air suspension takes much or little power to operate?
I don't know much on it, but I think I can answer that. It should be very little. It pumps/drains the suspension to a set point then caps it off so there's no continuous power draw. I'm pretty sure it's not doing any continuous dynamic adjustment as you drive.