Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

google maps gl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the videos I've seen it seemed to be both network and processor issues slowing down maps. It should help in the processor area, but really, I'm not sure why it's such an issue to begin with. If phones can handle zooming and such smoothly surely the hardware they have under the hood can as well? That leads me to believe its a software issue.

As an aside, with google now charging to use maps, I wonder if Tesla will stick with them or go to OSM like some of the other big boys are doing.

I would really like to see 'off-line' navigation. I really prefer not to tell a map provider where I am on a continual basis. I know I already do this with my cell phone. But if I ever start doing shady things I can always turn off the cell phone.

I would really like to see 'off-line' navigation. I really prefer not to tell a map provider where I am on a continual basis. I know I already do this with my cell phone. But if I ever start doing shady things I can always turn off the cell phone.

But the trick is to LOOK like you're doing shady things and watching the watchers trying to figure out just what it is that you are doing shadily. Keep 'em guessing!

Off-line navigation is only what's available without the tech package I believe. You have to add the tech package to get the on-line navigation.

I think that you have that backwards. Without the tech package, you have access to the Google-maps-like (but not turn-by-turn) GPS. With the Tech Package, you have on-board maps with turn-by-turn, and so you're not relying on internet access for your maps.

I think that you have that backwards. Without the tech package, you have access to the Google-maps-like (but not turn-by-turn) GPS. With the Tech Package, you have on-board maps with turn-by-turn, and so you're not relying on internet access for your maps.
You're right. I may have gotten them confused with the terms on and off line. The tech package should have the maps stored locally so it doesn't require an internet connection (just GPS) for the maps and location. The base car would be like the iPhone if I understand if correctly now (no turn-by-turn as you said).