Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter: Roadster HPC to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GHmagic6

Model S Sig #610 ➡️P56890 ➡️Model 3 #2444
Feb 17, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone have any insight as to whether there will be a Roadster to Model S adapter? As in - if I wanted to charge the Model S at a Roadster HPC in the wild, could I?

If this has been addressed in another thread, my apologies.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether there will be a Roadster to Model S adapter? As in - if I wanted to charge the Model S at a Roadster HPC in the wild, could I?

If this has been addressed in another thread, my apologies.

I have a feeling a lot of the HPCs will start to fade away. Maybe they'll offer upgrade of Roadster plug to Model S plug or J1772 someday.

[video=vimeo;36221090]http://vimeo.com/36221090[/video]

According to Troy of Tesla in this video the most likely thing is that there will be an adapter to plug your Roadster into the Model S connector - maybe even a retrofit of Roadster to directly support Model S. I would not expect a Model S to Roadster HPC connector.

....the most likely thing is that there will be an adapter to plug your Roadster into the Model S connector - maybe even a retrofit of Roadster to directly support Model S. I would not expect a Model S to Roadster HPC connector.

Why would you want to keep the heavy Fosters can when you can use the sexy electric razor?

According to Troy of Tesla the most likely thing is that there will be an adapter to plug your Roadster into the Model S connector - maybe even a retrofit of Roadster to directly support Model S. I would not expect a Model S to Roadster HPC connector.

From my house to CA northern border with OR, on Hwy 5, there are two HPCs (Orland and Yreka), just perfect for where I want and need them. I highly doubt that TMC will get any other chargers there (were they put in by Roadster drivers?)for a year or so (hope I'm wrong!) and I will need them. So I REALLY want/need an adapter from Model S to HPC. I suspect this will be important to a lot of S drivers, for a few years until TMC gets Superchargers up and running.

From my house to CA northern border with OR, on Hwy 5, there are two HPCs (Orland and Yreka), just perfect for where I want and need them. I highly doubt that TMC will get any other chargers there (were they put in by Roadster drivers?)for a year or so (hope I'm wrong!) and I will need them. So I REALLY want/need an adapter from Model S to HPC. I suspect this will be important to a lot of S drivers, for a few years until TMC gets Superchargers up and running.

Most HPCs outside of the greater LA-SF area were indeed put in by Roadster owners; the two you mention were courtesy of JackB (thanks Jack! I have used them several times).

Assuming Tesla puts Superchargers in the San Francisco->Seattle run, I imagine at least to start they would only be on I-5 starting well South of Seattle. But there's a lot of us Roadster drivers in Seattle that are used to going North and East too, using other HPCs put in by owners. At 70A, they are much faster than any of the other L2 charging options. So it would indeed be helpful if S owners could use them. (Although up in WA/OR, I'd be happy to trade an HPC adapter for a CHAdeMO adapter! They will be faster and much more numerous than HPCs. They will be common in CA's metro areas too; CA is still trying to get them on I-5, but no luck with funding yet).

Sigh. There are so many different things to plug in to. And a long-range BEV really needs to plug in to whatever is available wherever you happen to go. This makes things difficult for a company like Tesla. Too bad the SAE wasn't on the ball with a DC charging standard a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Assuming Tesla puts Superchargers in the San Francisco->Seattle run, I imagine at least to start they would only be on I-5 starting well South of Seattle. But there's a lot of us Roadster drivers in Seattle that are used to going North and East too, using other HPCs put in by owners. At 70A, they are much faster than any of the other L2 charging options. So it would indeed be helpful if S owners could use them. (Although up in WA/OR, I'd be happy to trade an HPC adapter for a CHAdeMO adapter! They will be faster and much more numerous than HPCs. They will be common in CA's metro areas too; CA is still trying to get them on I-5, but no luck with funding yet).

My understanding is that Tesla plans to populate I-5 from San Diego to Seattle. Hope so!

Sigh. There are so many different things to plug in to. And a long-range BEV really needs to plug in to whatever is available wherever you happen to go. This makes things difficult for a company like Tesla. Too bad the SAE wasn't on the ball with a DC charging standard a couple of years ago.

I really thought S would be omnivorous, with a bank on inlets hidden (behind the grille?) - opportunity missed.

Official news on the Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter. I was just told by a reliable exec at Tesla that there will be a Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter available at the start of the Model S production. This means all of us Roadster owners with HPCs or UMCs will be able to use our existing connections to charge the Model S.

Official news on the Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter. I was just told by a reliable exec at Tesla that there will be a Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter available at the start of the Model S production. This means all of us Roadster owners with HPCs or UMCs will be able to use our existing connections to charge the Model S.
Interesting how perspectives differ -- I read that and thought, "Oh, good, I'll be able to mooch off Roadster owner's HPCs!"

You can buy 75A J1772 cables off the shelf and swap out the HPC cable. That will work with the Model S and if you already have the Roadster adapter you are good to go. Depending on what Tesla offers that might be a good option.

Interesting how perspectives differ -- I read that and thought, "Oh, good, I'll be able to mooch off Roadster owner's HPCs!"

Mooch? I have a Roadster HPC a half mile from my house, thanks to generous donations and Tesla, at a winery. But I won't need it, so I won't use it. But there are TWO HPCs on my way to my cousin's house, and I will need them. AFAIK, there is no charge for using, but if there is, I would gladly pay for the use, on a 700 mile trip. Roadsters went down this road before me, and I am grateful.

When I finaled my order, I specifically asked for an adapter for Model S to HPC. They aren't going to have the SuperCharger Network finished by autumn, so I use what I can get: HPCs, relative's house power, and RV parks.