Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A story about driving a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I've always said, mobile therapy baby, mobile therapy.

For me, the Roadster literally is mobile therapy.

For years I've had problems with my right shoulder. Round about '05 I had surgery, which partially fixed the shoulder, but it still hurt when I used it too much.

When I got my Roadster my shoulder really, really hurt from driving it (because of the manual steering). I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to use the car after waiting so long (and paying so much) for it. I tried to train myself to use my left arm when turning, but it didn't help much.

After a few weeks, I noticed that it didn't hurt to drive anymore. And, in fact, nothing hurt my shoulder. What had happened was that turning the wheel was acting like physical therapy, and it worked. My shoulder hasn't bothered me since.

So, I have a medical need for a sports car. :)

Yesterday night when I needed to commute back from Shizuoka to Tokyo, my wife seemed to be sleepy and tired. I felt sorry about her so I said "you can drive my Tesla Roadster if you want". By far, that was her best 1.5 hrs of the day!

Me too!

I often have a pain in the neck (or lower) after a day's work...a drive in the Roadster seems to clear all this right up:wink::biggrin:!

For me, the Roadster literally is mobile therapy.

For years I've had problems with my right shoulder. Round about '05 I had surgery, which partially fixed the shoulder, but it still hurt when I used it too much.

When I got my Roadster my shoulder really, really hurt from driving it (because of the manual steering). I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to use the car after waiting so long (and paying so much) for it. I tried to train myself to use my left arm when turning, but it didn't help much.

After a few weeks, I noticed that it didn't hurt to drive anymore. And, in fact, nothing hurt my shoulder. What had happened was that turning the wheel was acting like physical therapy, and it worked. My shoulder hasn't bothered me since.

So, I have a medical need for a sports car. :)

A year ago my back really went out. Incredibly painful. My right arm and hand were very weak due to pinched nerves. I couldn't operate a computer for weeks.

When it hit I assumed getting in and out of the Roadster would be too painful, so I took my gas car. It was AGONY to drive it, or even just sit in it. I'd get a jolt of pain up and down my back every time I hit the accelerator, and I could only stand about five minutes of driving. I would lunge out of the car as soon as we stopped, to the great amusement of my wife.

After a couple of days of that agony I figured I might as well try the Roadster. Sure, it hurt a little bit to get in... but once I was in I felt immediate relief. How bizarre, it was the most comfortable I had felt since my back blew out. Driving was no problem either. Pressing the accelerator didn't hurt; in fact I could floor it with no problem! The only minor issue was my weak right arm, so turning the steering wheel was a bit of work - but so what - it didn't hurt!

I also found I could get out without much pain if I was careful. Even a little twinge getting out was nothing compared to the agony every moment in my gas car.

They should sell these things to back clinics... really.