Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S (Performance edition) 1/4 mile time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did Tesla ever put out a vehicle weight for the S?

my 'guess'
12.9s

for ~<4000 lb S
since there is more power than the roadster + less drag, I think it will be better than the roadster 1/4 mi

reference:
14.7 s for the 2002 ls430 that I drive ~ same weight but >150 hp less than the perf has and 0-60 is 2 seconds slower (6.4 vs 4.4) so maybe better than
12 s even!!! ?

Last edited:
It all depends on how much the car is limits battery draw above 60mph. It could land it in the low 14's, but I see 15's as pretty unlikely.

There is nothing "performance" about running 15's and slower.

My best guess is around 13.3 to 13.5.

I have a similar car weight car (70's muscle car) with a similar 0-60, it's a 455 bored to a 462 and it does 13.3 on a good day- it gets 7 mpg though so 360 days out of the year it sits in the garage

Not too happy with the Roadster drivers 1/4 mile reaction time, should be less than 0.6 seconds, but more than 0.5 seconds

I'm guessing Sub 12.5 seconds for 1/4 mile. Here's my reasoning: Other ICE cars that get 4.4 seconds 0 to 60 get 12.8 to 12.9 second 1/4 mile runs. The Model S will not have any shifting and the power should be consistent throughout the 1/4 mile run. 12.5 second 1/4 mile should be doable.

What I am really interested in is the skidpad results! I'm betting that those are truly impressive!! >1.0 g ?

Last edited:
Should be mid to low 13s. The car will start off very strong but lose most of its advantage a little more than halfway through. There's no way it will be quicker than the roadster, despite the superior aero. CD isn't everything, either; the car still has a large frontal area, and the motor will run out of steam (juice?) at higher speeds.

I'm guessing Sub 12.5 seconds for 1/4 mile. Here's my reasoning: Other ICE cars that get 4.4 seconds 0 to 60 get 12.8 to 12.9 second 1/4 mile runs. The Model S will not have any shifting and the power should be consistent throughout the 1/4 mile run. 12.5 second 1/4 mile should be doable.

What I am really interested in is the skidpad results! I'm betting that those are truly impressive!! >1.0 g ?

Would be awesome! What about slalom speed?? 70mph? :D

Yes, the highly publicized one
Tesla Roadster achieves 12.7-second 1/4 mile run

Having grown up drag racing, the reaction time for a pro-driver should be 0.6 or lower. Mine is consistent around 0.6 to 0.55 and I don't do that much racing anymore and I was never a pro.

Here are some more Roadster timeslips:
3756750495_667d8bd769.jpg

The roadster slips are exactly what I wanted to see. My concern with the one I referenced was that it was an inexperienced drag racing driver. I would say the Roadster is capable of 12.6 instead of 12.7

Reaction time is not included in the times on all time slips I have, they are time runs based on breaking the starting line beam. I believe that is the case on these as well.