Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
For most purpose i.e. skis and bikes a hitch attached rack that swung out of the way would work. For Kayaks you are left with either using a different vehicle or a much cooler albeit expensive option:

SylvanSport | the GO | Lightweight Unique Camping Travel Trailer

I totally love this 'cooler albeit expensive' option :). Putting rails on the top so that it can accept almost any Thule or Yakima rack (allowing your own custom configuration) is brilliant. I'm having a hitch put on my Prius & ordering ... thank you for this link.

I totally love this 'cooler albeit expensive' option :). Putting rails on the top so that it can accept almost any Thule or Yakima rack (allowing your own custom configuration) is brilliant. I'm having a hitch put on my Prius & ordering ... thank you for this link.

You are welcome. I have been flirting with buying one for a while. If the model x gets a hitch option, I am going to go for it.

You are welcome. I have been flirting with buying one for a while. If the model x gets a hitch option, I am going to go for it.

I'm assuming I can put a hitch on the Model X ... if I can't, this might not be a good idea (the Prius will be sold when I take delivery of the X). Hmmm. Opinions welcomed here (as if I need to actually solicit opinion : ).

I'm assuming I can put a hitch on the Model X ... if I can't, this might not be a good idea (the Prius will be sold when I take delivery of the X). Hmmm. Opinions welcomed here (as if I need to actually solicit opinion : ).

The model s is not going to get a hitch option due to the aluminum frame (I think). I do not know if they have figured out a way around that issue with the model x yet, but at least they have a couple of years. Supposedly they are coming up with some ingenious roof rack for skis and such, but I doubt kayaks. Not having a hitch would most likely be a deal breaker for a bunch narrowing that already narrow niche given the price ...

Yes, a hitch would give a swing-away rack option for bikes - much better from an aerodynamic view than on the roof. But isn't the frame the same between the Model S and Model X? Did I miss something?

What you are missing is facts that came to my attention after making that post. Sorry to cross post, but here is the short thread where I discovered that the model s will not get a hitch and that this could also carry over to the model x:

Tow hitch? Aluminum body? | Forums | Tesla Motors

What you are missing is facts that came to my attention after making that post. Sorry to cross post, but here is the short thread where I discovered that the model s will not get a hitch and that this could also carry over to the model x:

Tow hitch? Aluminum body? | Forums | Tesla Motors
Not sure why aluminum would have an impact on the ability to have a towing hitch. Elon also tweeted something about towing capacity not being a problem for the X, so presumably that means a hitch since you can't really tow without one.

Not sure why aluminum would have an impact on the ability to have a towing hitch. Elon also tweeted something about towing capacity not being a problem for the X, so presumably that means a hitch since you can't really tow without one.

I forgot about that. Sorry to have created any anxiety in the years of waiting for this vehicle ...

I forgot about that. Sorry to have created any anxiety in the years of waiting for this vehicle ...
No anxiety here, sorry if I gave that impression. I'm genuinely curious though how aluminum and towing are related. Some technical limitation? Actually, towing items are usually attached to the bumpers and I think those are, uh, boron steel or some such in the Model S/X?

Real tow hitches are usually attached to the frame. Aluminum might pose some issues but I'm sure they can be worked around, especially for a light load type hitch that would hold a rack. I've built tow hitches for a few vehicles that were never intended for towing, it's not that difficult.

Well a tweet, even if from Elon, doesn't equal a commitment from Tesla. (And he did delete that tweet the same day.) I'm going to try to find out - I'd hate to rely on a deleted tweet in making this decision. :)

Apart from the tweet, Jim Motavalli said he asked Tesla about this, and the answer was Model X will have very good towing abilities. However that is not officially announced, so until it's on the website, I guess it's subject to change.

Apart from the tweet, Jim Motavalli said he asked Tesla about this, and the answer was Model X will have very good towing abilities. However that is not officially announced, so until it's on the website, I guess it's subject to change.

Thanks, Norbert. That sounds more hopeful than a deleted tweet. I'll use that to rationalize getting the Go trailer now :).

Thanks, Norbert. That sounds more hopeful than a deleted tweet. I'll use that to rationalize getting the Go trailer now :).

Tell us how it goes. Send some pics of the Go trailer with all your toys. I can see this item becoming very popular with model x owners. I wonder if we could get a group discount? You will probably be the first person on the planet to pull one behind a model x.

Tell us how it goes. Send some pics of the Go trailer with all your toys. I can see this item becoming very popular with model x owners. I wonder if we could get a group discount? You will probably be the first person on the planet to pull one behind a model x.

I did talk to them about a discount (local friend is also buying) and they offered to knock $400 off on each.

Model X ski/bike rack

I live in Lake Tahoe, and like the Model X concept (enough that I have one reserved), BUT I do have a serious concern/question. The falcon doors, while they may have a 'wow' factor for some and maybe do offer improved access to the interior, strike me as wholly impractical when it comes to making this a functional vehicle. How the heck am I supposed to carry skiis or bikes!? There doesn't appear to be any functional way to mount a rack system.

Would welcome the input of anyone from Tesla in particular... any solution forthcoming for this issue?

Thanks!
Shane

I live in Lake Tahoe, and like the Model X concept (enough that I have one reserved), BUT I do have a serious concern/question. The falcon doors, while they may have a 'wow' factor for some and maybe do offer improved access to the interior, strike me as wholly impractical when it comes to making this a functional vehicle. How the heck am I supposed to carry skiis or bikes!? There doesn't appear to be any functional way to mount a rack system.

Would welcome the input of anyone from Tesla in particular... any solution forthcoming for this issue?

Thanks!
Shane

Elon indicated that a "very cool" solution was forthcoming..... Stay tuned!