Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
If this has been answered before I couldn't find it.

What papers do I need to provide to my tax preparer in order to claim the federal tax credit for buying my Roadster? I think my salesman probably told me, but I've forgotten, and I don't see any mention of it, or any federal-looking forms, in my Roadster folder.

I could ask my advocate, but if I don't remember, maybe there are others out there who would appreciate the information also.

Thanks.

If this has been answered before I couldn't find it.

What papers do I need to provide to my tax preparer in order to claim the federal tax credit for buying my Roadster? I think my salesman probably told me, but I've forgotten, and I don't see any mention of it, or any federal-looking forms, in my Roadster folder.

I could ask my advocate, but if I don't remember, maybe there are others out there who would appreciate the information also.

Thanks.

Print your own. PDF file. Hand to tax preparer.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

Your accountant can fill out the form. All you need to provide is your bill of sale and something that shows the battery capacity (as the amount of the credit is based on battery capacity). It's been awhile now but if that is on the Bill of Sale you are good to go.

Also, if you installed a charger at your home, check out IRS form 8911.

If you installed an HPC, then it's a no-brainer. If you installed an RV outlet and use the UMC at home, you may also want to claim the credit. Note, however, that unlike the $7500 vehicle rebate, this credit goes away if you're subject to AMT.