Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S/X have a spare tire & if not, how is that ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the talk of rear facing child seats and double trunks, I was wondering where does the spare tire go? I mean there's two trunks you would think they'd put a spare in there somewhere. Now granted, I've never owned a vehicle in this price range so I don't know if the tire pressure gauge / run flat tire tech is that good but this seems like something that should be in there. Especially if I'm going on a trip some where.

Last edited:
The Model S (and, likely Model X) does not ship with a spare. To save weight, it comes only with a tire repair kit. The assumption is that you'll have, and use, roadside assistance.

Some on these boards have indicated that they'll stow a spare in the frunk, together with a jack.

Most new vehicles have a can of sealant and an air compressor that is in place of the spare tire. I believe this is the same thing on the Roadster. On my G5 this is the case, while it sucks to know if I have a blow out I am screwed and will have to rely on Roadside assistance I do not see it being that big of a deal. Almost every manufacturer is moving to this type of thing. Also I do not believe that run flats would be a good option because of rolling resistance.

My Porsche only has a can of sealant. Of course I had my first flat a year or so after I bought the car. Knowing that I had no spare, I drove it off the freeway with some air. The low profile sidewalls shredded quickly. A can of sealant is useless with low profile tires. At least I was able to get to a safe location. Since I had not had the car long, I had not thought about where to get a replacement tire. Not every tire shop in town has high performance low profile tires. All I could do was call the Porsche roadside assistance number and have them send a flat bed. It took a couple of days to get the replacement tire. Changing a tire roadside is not fun, but it beats the aggravation of the car being unavailable for a day or two and having to find a ride home.

My Porsche only has a can of sealant. Of course I had my first flat a year or so after I bought the car. Knowing that I had no spare, I drove it off the freeway with some air. The low profile sidewalls shredded quickly. A can of sealant is useless with low profile tires. At least I was able to get to a safe location. Since I had not had the car long, I had not thought about where to get a replacement tire. Not every tire shop in town has high performance low profile tires. All I could do was call the Porsche roadside assistance number and have them send a flat bed. It took a couple of days to get the replacement tire. Changing a tire roadside is not fun, but it beats the aggravation of the car being unavailable for a day or two and having to find a ride home.

I fully agree. I was once involved in an accident that led to a tire burst. Fortunately I had a spare tire so after fixing that I could go on with my trip.
I know that almost every car maker nowadays relies on the "sealant kit only" policy, but I think it's totally the wrong direction they're going with that. But of course you can't blame that on Tesla alone as it has become common practice.

I have heard that AAA is nice to join, a friend of mine recently got a flat and she was towed home.
"Roadside Assistance is the main reason people join AAA, and why they renew year after year. Not just for major breakdowns, either. Lock your keys in the car or get a flat and we’ll be there, day or night throughout the US and Canada."

For those that have considered carrying a spare in the frunk...

Do we know if a full-size spare will fit there?

And: once we know the bolt pattern and other details, I wonder if one of those small "cute" spares would work on the Model S?

/Mitch.

How does tire sealant affect the TPMS? I guess most people just use roadside assistance these days, but perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for Tesla offer a temporary "donut" type spare (like MitchL suggests) as an option. That gets you home/to the tire repair shop without risking a tow.

... perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for Tesla offer a temporary "donut" type spare (like MitchL suggests) as an option. That gets you home/to the tire repair shop without risking a tow.

+1. I hadn't thought about the fact that I hadn't seen a spare tire. I want a spare. Worst case, I'll get an extra set of wheels, mount winter tires, and carry one with me on road trips.

For those that have considered carrying a spare in the frunk...

Do we know if a full-size spare will fit there?

/Mitch.

Mitch,
Here are some measurements I made on a frunk in one of the Betas. I wasn't measuring with the intent of checking for viability of a spare at the time, so maybe it doesn't have all the right measurements, but it may be enough for you to make a swag...

The width of the front cargo opening (measured from frame edge to frame edge) is ~39" at it's widest point near the middle. The width of the floor is ~28". The height from floor to the top of the cargo area is ~15" at the back but 10" high at the front of the cargo area. There's an additional recess at the back of the cargo area. The dimensions of that recess are 19" wide X 12" high X 18" deep.

The tires on the Beta Model S at the Bellevue store are 245R45 19 ( I don't remember the brand & type, I just recorded the size )
Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires in that size are 27.7 inches in diameter and the "section width" is 9.6 inches.

Last edited:
When you early signature types get your car and figure out an appropriate spare, I will follow your advice--I have the advantage of learning from the early adopters since I am at P4700 on the reservation list.

Back when I owned British cars like Triumph Spitfire and Jaguar E-Type, I used to joke that getting a flat was way more unlikely than suffering a mechanical or electrical breakdown. Indeed, I never got a flat, but I did breakdown a few times.

With Model S, the probabilities are reversed. Within 5000 miles on my Roadster I had already run over a nail. Luckily, the leak was slow, the nail was in the tread, and so I could just put some air in and drive to a local tire shop and get it fixed. But, a sidewall event will probably not be sealed by the sealant and not fixable except with a replacement tire.

I will also have both 21 and 19 inch wheels for summer 4-5 months and winter 7-8 months. We need someone to remeasure the frunk with the 27.7 inch tire diameter in mind. It would be easy to leave an out of season tire in the frunk. Of course someone leg might be broken in a frontal crash.