Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to borrow (or buy) a 110v charging cable for one night in the illinois area....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys!
I'm going to Illinois next week to look at a roadster. The car currently shows 9 miles of usable range on the dash, and has no charging cables with it whatsoever. The seller agreed to let me plug it in to see if it charges, if I can bring the proper 110v cable. Is there anyone in the illinois area, (or even on the way for me coming from Buffalo, N.Y.) that would have one I could use for a night? Or even one for sale that I could buy on the cheap and receive, by this coming week? PM me! Thanks guys!
Chris
PS: Is there anything else I should know regarding it taking a charge? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to charge it for more than a few hours, but assuming it starts to charge properly, does this mean the battery is good? Or might it only take a partial charge or the like?

Last edited:
Chris, you might want to give the seller of the Roadster a heads up in regards to keeping the Roadster plugged in. At the very least have him contact Tesla, I can almost guarantee Tesla will make it very clear in no uncertain terms the need to charge the Roadster. Leaving it with only 9 miles remaining I think is inviting disaster to happen.

Hi Guys!
I'm going to Illinois next week to look at a roadster. The car currently shows 9 miles of usable range on the dash, and has no charging cables with it whatsoever. The seller agreed to let me plug it in to see if it charges, if I can bring the proper 110v cable. Is there anyone in the illinois area, (or even on the way for me coming from Buffalo, N.Y.) that would have one I could use for a night? Or even one for sale that I could buy on the cheap and receive, by this coming week? PM me! Thanks guys!
Chris
PS: Is there anything else I should know regarding it taking a charge? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to charge it for more than a few hours, but assuming it starts to charge properly, does this mean the battery is good? Or might it only take a partial charge or the like?

Where is the Roadster you are looking at located? Is it listed for sale online somewhere?

I would suggest getting the car# or VIN and calling a Tesla Ranger. They can beam into the car if the GPS is on and tell you alot about the car's recent activity dn charging history. Call any Tesla store and they can do this for you.

Would Tesla do this if you weren't the owner of the car? That doesn't seem right.

The car is at auction; hence no cable. I either need to borrow one, or buy one and receive it fast! (by Monday.) I talked with a Tesla rep and he said nobody is stocking the cords, and that it would have to be ordered. But time is a big problem! Anyone have a used one for sale that I can get quickly? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

The car is at auction; hence no cable. I either need to borrow one, or buy one and receive it fast! (by Monday.) I talked with a Tesla rep and he said nobody is stocking the cords, and that it would have to be ordered. But time is a big problem! Anyone have a used one for sale that I can get quickly? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Are you near Chicago? Have them deliver it by flatbed to the Telsa service center to charge after checking with Tesla first. Tell them that if they don't charge it soon, they may ruin the battery then it will be worth almost nothing at auction.

Would Tesla do this if you weren't the owner of the car? That doesn't seem right.
Well, I would tell the owner you are going to ask Tesla to do this and then have Tesla call the owner to confirm that it's ok. Otherwise you could have him pull the logs and send them to you and use some of the parsing tools available to figure out if it's been abused.