Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Trip Energy Odometer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several routes that I frequently take on my commute to work, and I often try to figure out which one is the most efficient.

This is not necessarily an easy thing to do in an ICE.

-One route is via a highway, at higher speeds, with less stop-and-go driving.
-Another route is shorter, on surface streets (lower speed), but has frequent stoplights.

They both take about the same time.

My thinking is that, in an ICE, the first route uses less energy because of the fewer stoplights.

But in an EV, with regen, I suspect the second route might use less energy.

Point is, an ICE makes it really difficult to compare the energy use of each route.

In an EV, it should be cake. so here's my question:

Does the Model S have a resettable "trip odometer" that keeps track of total energy used? That way I can directly compare energy used on the two routes.

I know about the Wh/mi graph..I'm essentially looking for the area under that graph for a certain driving period.

Anyone know if this type of thing is on the S display? Does the Roadster have it? I don't remember seeing it. If not, it might be a nice idea for an app...

Does the Roadster have it?

Roadster "Trip Meter" shows miles, time and net energy usage. Exactly what you are asking for. :smile:

Just a word of caution if you want to be exact. I get tremendous mileage as most of my driving is around town and my "estimated miles remaining" is more often than not higher than my "ideal miles". There are times when I regen more as I sometimes catch every red light; if I'm lucky (right word?) I get to sail through one green light after another without stopping and never regen. So even on the same route each day my NET usage could vary quite a bit.

excellent idea for an app.

I've written that app for my own use, in order to verify to myself I could live with the reduced winter range of a LEAF. There are already "EV Simulator" apps out there so I haven't bothered to polish it to my normal standards for publication. And as I'm no longer getting a LEAF (getting the ActiveE instead), I lost interest (amazing what an 8 kWh difference in battery size can do for range anxiety).

It uses GPS speed as a first order approximation of kW usage, and integrates over time to get kWh. Doesn't take into account acceleration, elevation change, wind speed, extra weight, temperature or a zillion other factors. But to compare different routes, it should work well enough.

If you guys have iPhones, maybe I can send you a beta version if you're interested (You need a modicum of techfininty and an account on testflightapp.com.)