Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your first gratuitous Model S Drive...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
So we've covered the first songs that will be played, but here's another fun thought. In this hypothetical I'd like you to assume that you've arrived home with your Model S (or it's just been delivered), the dust has settled somewhat, and it's now fully charged and ready for a drive. I know for many the first drive will be home from the showroom/factory or it may even be to work the next day, but what I want to know is, where are you going to go on that first trip that has no other purpose but to drive your Model S? What roads are you going to take and why? Anyplace special to visit along the way?

As an example, here's mine:

We drop the kids and dogs off with Grandma and Grandpa. It's a bright, sunny day (it won't be because it'll be Q1 2013 in Oregon) and we're all packed for a weekend on the Coast. We open the panoramic roof, crank the tunes and hit the road. We ignore I-5 with it's big trucks and head North on hwy 99. It's not all that inspiring a road, but it's surrounded by some beautiful farmland. We take a left at Corvallis and hit hwy 20 and, after going through Philomath, things get interesting as this road will take us up and over the Coast range. Just this once we don't get stuck behind a terrified RV driver in the twisty parts and I get to terrify my wife with the Model S's amazing handling. We take a right at Newport and hit hwy 101. Once again, the tourists are nowhere to be seen as we blast up the coast, soaking in the sea air. Our final destination is a little hotel in Depoe Bay that's got a plug-in waiting for me.

So, that's mine. What's your first-drive fantasy?

It's not really a fantasy, but it would be a fun drive - take highway 1 south from the SF Bay Area to Big Sur - it's about 100mi each way, and would be even cooler if there was someplace to charge along Highway 1.

--or-- go North through SF to Sonoma, crossing the Golden Gate bridge, and relaxing in wine country for a bit.

I guess it depends on how far we intend to go -- if I had a charger at a destination, I might choose something 200mi away and do an overnight trip - say San Luis Obispo from the SF Bay Area. There's s a little inn called "Apple Farm" in SLO that we've enjoyed staying at in the past (pre kids), maybe I could charge overnight there.

I draw 100 and 200 mi circles around the house and see what I can reach with or without a charge - it's a fun way to get into the EV mood.

/Mitch.

I admit I have thought about this...

First trip is modest. Head to Santa Cruz, possibly with by way of a detour to Big Basin's redwood forest, then north on Hwy 1. Not quite to Half Moon Bay, but rather turn off to La Honda, and head through the woods back to 280 through Portola Valley. Not a huge trip, just an afternoon to feel out the car. Second trip will be longer.

Nice thoughts....lightening up my day now :)

Living in Switzerland, I'll go for the James Bond - Goldfinger route around the Alps with a nice stay over in a fancy hotel.
(Breathing fresh air and enjoying the acceleration up the curvy roads)

Thomas

There's a tight and twisty farmland road around here that I first discovered the night I got my R8 (and later, rediscovered when I was in a less nimble vehicle -- scary). I'll be heading there to see how she handles the curves and cows :)

I'm thinking the loop formed by Ridge Road -> Fifty Road -> Highway 8 -> Mcneilly Road/8th Road. Also booting up and down Sulphur Springs Road although I'll be shy from that one for a little while since it's not paved... Don't want to destroy the paint on my first drive.

Well considering I would really stretch the 40kWh to drive my cycling route 'six gap' in the North Georgia mountains between Suches, Dahlonega, and Hellen. If I get the 60kWh that is it.

Otherwise it will be a deserted parking lot on an early Sunday morning, with a bunch of cones. I NEED to know exactly how big my car is, when I am in the driver's seat!

I have done this with every car I have owned, and 2 of my parents cars. Get some tall cones and a 1" piece of PVC sticking out the top so you can see when you start to tip it. You creep up to a cone until you just about hit it. You back up into a cone until you just about hit it. You drive slowly and get your side mirror within 4" of the cone. Then you get the cheap flat cones you buy at sports authority. Set them about 18" wider than your track and drive through them as fast as is safe in your lot. The get them closer. Until you can split them with ~4" of spare.

If you are feeling really good. Set up 'gates' with the flat cones about 4~ wider than your tires. Then try to put your passenger tires through the gates.

Then of course get to know your turning circle, and parallel park.

One or the other. And I recommend a passenger(s) for the first trip. If you have a friend that likes to setup cones then bring them for the second trip, otherwise it works best alone.

EDIT: I also use cardboard boxes for the curb test. You need to know where that passenger curb is. You set up a wall of boxes, and drive really close until you start to 'curb' your rims. Then you will get really good. I can get ~1" away in my GTI. Got to keep those rims looking good.

Last edited:
I like your Ideas - ElSupreme! Never tried any of this but it would definitely speed up the learning of the cars dimensions.

I will most likely be driving hwy 299(CA) to 'play'. If I can pick up the car in the bay area then hwy 9/Page mill/ alpine are always fun rds -all of the bikers(from what I was seeing~ 10 yrs ago, I imagine there are many more now)
Maybe I'll take 128 out to Mendocino on the way back home and take the northern end of hwy 1 to get back to 101. Beautiful roads and windy as hell.

mmm daydreaming

This was my first real ride in my Roadster:

Skyline/Hwy 9 to Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay for brunch, then back

Screen shot 2012-02-22 at 2.23.31 PM.png

Great combination of curvy mountain and coastal roads, and a nice place to eat and walk along the water. Didn't valet park - parked in the garage next door instead.

Lyon, When you get to Corvallis drop by for a few electrons. Then as you leave Philomath, I suggest a left turn onto 34 which goes by Marys peak and is much twistier than 20, especially since they straightened it out near Eddyville. You'll hit the coast at Waldport instead of Newport.

Last edited:
I'll probably go up to Brighton (a local ski resort) or Park City, even if it's in the summer. This will give me a good mix of mountain and city driving in one ride.

EDIT: I also use cardboard boxes for the curb test. You need to know where that passenger curb is. You set up a wall of boxes, and drive really close until you start to 'curb' your rims. Then you will get really good. I can get ~1" away in my GTI. Got to keep those rims looking good.

Thanks for the tips, I found this one is especially helpful. :smile:

Last edited:
Mine won't be anything fancy. Just driving around town giving everyone who keeps asking me about the car a ride or a test drive. Gotta spread the word. I gave 8 test rides within 5 hours of getting the Roadster. Word spreads fast these days.

If I get 60kWh or 85kWh battery this is what I am doing. I don't think I can get out there and back on a 40kWh. On a bicycle it really matters which way you go, in a car not so much.

6 Gap.png

E Main St to E Main St - Google Maps

You drive north on US19 right half of left loop.
Turn right and do the right loop clockwise.
Then go to the left loop and finish it counterclockwise.

I know I can do the loop with the 40kWh, and probably will, but it will take a little while before I feel comfortable NEEDING a charge away from home.

Lyon, When you get to Corvallis drop by for a few electrons. Then as you leave Philomath, I suggest a left turn onto 34 which goes by Marys peak and is much twistier than 20, especially since they straightened it out near Eddyville. You'll hit the coast at Waldport instead of Newport.

Thanks for the suggestion and the invite! I forget about 34 because usually I'm in the Suburban and, pretty regularly, towing the Airstream. I think that you're right though, 34 is the way to go!

I envy you Californians who can quickly get to spectacular roads! My Model S should be arriving mid-fall, so a little leaf-peeping will be in order. Here's a route that should be fun, at least once I get up in the New Hampshire lake district: up to Conway, then through the White Mountains on the spectacular Kancamagus Highway, then through scenic towns on the shores of Squam Lake and Lake Winnipesaukee. At 312 miles, it may be a little long even for the 85kWh pack (though average speed will probably be about 50 mph, so there's some hope.) Fortunately, the New Hampshire utility has EV charging at its Manchester NH location, where I can add a few "insurance" miles on my way home.

For a south/west SF Bay Area quick loop from the inlaws I would probably do something like the left and once home, the right (242 mi):

route.JPG
r2.JPG

I miss some of those roads but they seem so crowded to me now. I drive on practically traffic-free roads that wind through giant redwoods now - Humboldt :tongue: just gotta keep an eye open for elk, bears, and deer + drunken rednecks in big trucks, 'overstoned' drivers and occasional messed up tweaker. :scared:

Not the most poetic of answers, but every time I get a new car I take it out to a big, empty parking lot with someone else standing outside to watch, and practice until I "get" how wide it is, how long it is, what the turning radius is, how to "read" the mirrors, how much room I need to parallel-park it. Each car is different; having a sense of these things is essential for good parallel parking, and useful for all other driving.

EDIT: I see ElSupreme thinks the way I do, but is even more serious about it. I think I'll have to go get some cones, thanks for the suggestion. :biggrin:

Last edited: